The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Guide's Day Off

Friday (6/11), Lower Yuba River east of Marysville, California

I had a chance to fish with my friend, Dave Barbieri. He is a Lower Yuba River guide. With the flows well over 5000 cfs, trout fishing was out on the Highway 20 Bridge stretch, but fishing for American Shad below Daguerre Point Dam was an option even in high water. Normal Yuba River fishing flows are between 1000 and 1500 cfs.

Fishing pressure was rather light. Three jetboats were on river. Spread over 8 miles, there were plenty of spots for everyone.

Dave is unique since he is the only drift boat guide who has access below Daguerre Point. He also has a cool boat.
Click the image to open in full size.

We landed over 40 shad. That number includes the LDRs. We also counted the shake offs after we touched our leaders. Shad are herring. Tarpon are herring. So tarpon tournament rules apply! Here's Dave's little male.

The "I'm Too Sexy for Shad" pose.

We pulled out 20 shad out of this one hole. It was nuts!

Me in the background having to touch a shad. Yuck. Shad stink!

MP
Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Guide's Day Off

MP: Great fishing report and photos! I've never fished for shad so I know little about them. Tell me more about fishing for Shad, what do you use for flies?

Larry
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
MP: Great fishing report and photos! I've never fished for shad so I know little about them. Tell me more about fishing for Shad, what do you use for flies?

Larry
American Shad are anadromous fish that arrive in the Sacramento Valley/Sierra Foothill rivers to spawn from April into July. These fish were transplanted from the mid-Atlantic states in the late 1800s. Shad average two pounds for the males and four and a half for the females. It is a beautifully colored fish with a purplish back and pearl sides. If Abel ever makes a fish print American Shad graphic, I'll have one made for me in a Super 6N Large Arbor.

Shad are members of the herring family. They are known to school. Usually if you find one shad, you have found a smaller pod or a large school. Yesterday, we found a few small pods and several large schools. Like other herring, shad are rather slimy and stinky. I know a guide who refuses to net shad because he doesn't want his net to stink.

The tactics that Dave and I used were similar to steelhead fishing. We would wade and cast into a seam line. Shad usually hang out on soft side of a seam line. We used sink tip lines ranging from type 3 to type 8. Yesterday, the type 3 sink tips ruled the day. At the end of the swings, we would twitch our flies a few times before retrieving them in. Those twitches added to our catch rate.

The flies that we use are simple. They have bright colored bodies that look like they come from waste containers at Three Mile Island. Bright red, orange, pink, and chartreuse are popular colors. The fly that ruled the day was a fire red Bernie's Banger. We used a modified version of it with a marabou tail with beadchain eyes.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-18-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

That's some rad shad guys. Very cool.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MP,

Thanks for sharing a cool story. Even I can tie that Shad Fly. What size of hook are those tied on? We have Shad here in Florida but I don't think they get that big.

Frank
Old 06-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff MP, looks like a great day on the water. I used to fish for them in MA many years ago but never had a day like that!

i used a sink tip then too, but having different densities would have been even better. Are you using something like Rio's Versi-Tip or poly leaders?

Frank not sure which shad/s you have down there in FL. We chased American Shad (as opposed to the smaller Hickory Shad) and used flies mostly size 6 or 8, but would see others using sizes 4-10 that also caught them.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

MP: Thanks for sharing the information on Shad, like I said I knew nothing about them. Now I now the basics!

Larry
Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! Love the boat! What kind of rods do you and Dave use for those shad?

We live minutes from the Delaware River, and it's estimated 400,000 shad pass by each year, mostly during April and early May. I didn't get over to the
Delaware until last week, so I missed all the shad fun........

What constitutes a catch: I read an article written by Lefty Kreh, and he said that another famous fly angler (name not given) told him that he considered
a fish hooked to be a fish caught. Well, I shared that with my wife, and she's always asking, "Does that count?" "That" could be as little as 2 seconds before the hook is spit, and I tell her she has to decide for herself....
Old 06-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report Denniswe all enjoy your posts about gear on the forum...but you're a mysterious guy...when shall we see a good and clear pic of you here?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:55 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great report Dennis...We have Threadfin Shad that run our local rivers, and like your American shad; they are slimy and stink...Fun to catch, but not to touch...

Dan