The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default have you ever added weight to a fly reel...

to balance with a rod?....

usually balance-ness or the lack thereof doesn't bug me much...

my go-to reel is kinda light for my go-to rod... i don't mind it if i'm throwing streamers or dries but today, even though the river was chocolate brown and the afternoon hatch was logs, stumps and the occasional bloated cow, i just had to get out and cast. threw big streamers first....no trout....a couple pikeminnow. then i figured i'd do some high stick nymphing. 30 minutes of holding that rod high and HOLY MOLY did the tip heaviness of my rod kick my butt.... i'm really feeling it in my forearm...

anyway, if any of you have added weight to a reel, how'd you do it?

thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have you ever added weight to a fly reel...

I only have experience adding weight to one reel; an old Pflueger 1495. It will take a lot of #3 shot in the center part of the spool; it's actually designed to do that and has an opening in the spool to insert the shot. I use it on an old solid fiberglass rod; which is plenty heavy.

Other that that, I've tried adding weight to reels in other ways (sticky-back lead wound around the spool shaft, plastic-coated metal core line, etc.), but in the end, I usually purchase a reel that works better with the rod. In my opinion, too much messing around with gear usually leads to problems.

Pocono
Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Normally high sticking is done with a relatively short amount of line out. So most of the line is still on the reel. Therefore, I think it is the rod that is the problem. It is tip heavy to begin with.

I suspect you have already tried holding the rod higher up on the grip after the cast. That will help some when high sticking. If you have not, give that a try.

I think adding weight is best done by changing the reel to a larger size which will be heavier than adding weight to a smaller reel. If you have a larger reel for a heavier line weight, I would put it on the reel and see if it is easier to hold in high stick position. If it is, then buy a spare spool and put on the line for that rod.

I use a 10 ft 5 wt GLoomis GLX Classic matched to 3.9 oz. Ross Original Evolution #2. The original Evolution is a very light reel and this outfit is still tip light because the rod is extremely light. Have you considered that the rod and not the reel is the problem?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

What is the rod and what is the reel? Knowing this will help me to make a suggestion or comment.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a larger reel, some lead core line under the backing is the easiest way to go.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

What is the rod and what is the reel? Knowing this will help me to make a suggestion or comment.

Ard

the fly rod is winston bII-mx. 9ft 5wt.

the reel is lamson litespeed 2.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If you don't have a larger reel, some lead core line under the backing is the easiest way to go.
i was reading about that online after i posted this thread. think i will try it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Another way to go is to put lead zonker tape on the center spool. Suspendots work to. They come in a sheet and you can instead of popping the dots out, trim and use the whole sheet.