The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Tying on?

I just bought some furled leaders and they have a real tiny loop at the end for tippet. My question is do you just tie on to that or do you make a loop to loop connection? Does it matter? The loop is really tiny like a 2mm tippet ring. I'm thinking tie on since the loop is small.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying on?

Joni is the expert on furled leaders, so she could probably answer better than I can, but here is my opinion on the furled leaders that I have purchased from her. I just tie on to the tippet ring with a clinch knot, seems to work just fine, I haven't had a failure yet, but I have only started using them this season.

Larry
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Mcnerney is right on target IMHO. I tried a loop to loop and it was much easier to simply tie the tippet to the ring using a cinch knot. I use the 3 mm rings cause they are easier for me to see.

Boser
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Clinch knot.

Kelly.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I had ordered some furled leaders from a guy who had tippet rings on the ends but somewhere along the line they got lost in the mail, never received them. The new ones I got from someone else don't have the tippet rings. So I guess I'll just tie my knot to the loop. Just thought I would ask to see what people have had success with. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I make & use furled leaders all the time, some with rings & some without. On the ones with the loop on the end I use a loop to loop connection to my tippet to spread the load on the loop evenly. I think that if you use a clinch or other knot on the loop you may not get it centered on the loop & anyway you have to cut them off to change tippet & you take a chance of nicking what is the weakest point of the furled leader, On the 2 or 3 mm rings a clinch knot works fine.IMHP
Neil
Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jcw355,

I second everything Fishing50 said. Don't use a clinch knot on the braided loop. Fasten the leader with a loop to loop connection. Here is a link that shows the right way to fasten two loops together.

Frank
Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above. Loop-to-loop when the terminal end of the furled leader is a loop. If it's a ring, use a clinch knot.

Kelly.