Stomach/throat pump

mojo

Reaction score
Interesting "discussion" on the U.K. Board about stomach pump/ throat pump.
Mini turkey basters made for throat samples- just a rubber bulb with a plastic tube are use with a little bit of water to take throat samples of recently ingested food. Both Joni and I use them on stillwater to find the right fly for that time. A sample usually takes less than 2 seconds to perform.
I'm in the camp of if it's done correctly, there is no harm done to the fish. I think it's more detrimental to the fish to have it out of the water for a dozen photo's, or layed on the grass, shoreline etc. Interesting too that I've seen on B.C. Outdoors where Brian Chan and Phil Rowley use the pump to sample the dinner fare.
What's your take on the subject? Remember, I'm talking stillwater fishing.

How do I pump a trout's stomach? - Fly Fishing Forums

jcw355

Reaction score
I have one but have not used it yet. It's been done before an will continue to be done. Reading the book midge magic the author did this many many times to obtain samples. Proper fish handling and using the pump right shouldn't hurt the fish in my opinion.

yatahey

Reaction score
I use one. The trout around here are often very selective on what they are feeding on. Here is an example of what I mean by selective. This sample shows ONLY caddis larva.

Jimmie

Reaction score
An angler at our club and myself talked about doing it on our next outing. Don't know about him, but I've got no clue as to the proper way so the link you posted was educational. Second to the last page post #69 has a video of an angler that seems to be using the pump with no harm. Thanks for showing this.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I have one , but have never used it. I'm afraid of damaging the trout's tender insides. I guess if I get one to the net that's bleeding I'll use it if I happen to have it with me after I dispatch the fish. There was a discussion on this about a year ago but I can't find it. I'll start a poll on it. I'm not trying to steal your thread , but I"m curious as to how many people use one...

darwin

Reaction score
I think it's more detrimental to the fish to have it out of the water for a dozen photo's, or layed on the grass, shoreline etc.
I totally agree with this part! I avoid touching the fish at all cost and do my best to never take it out of the water.
A throat sample, as I am told by folks I respect is not harmful IF done correctly.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've always been curious about the process. Seems like a lot of other folks are too.

So, Mojo and those of you that are experienced, maybe we could move toward the proper technique of using a stomach pump. I'd like to know, myself.

Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This may sound trite but........................ When I catch a trout I figure it is eating what I have hooked in its jaw and have never worried about what else he has eaten. Please do not take offense to my remarks but frankly I find the idea of doing this not only invasive but along the lines of using bobbers when fishing nymphs. There are just supposed to be times when we don't catch fish. Using microscopic nymphs suspended from a float or pumping some poor trouts innards to obtain better fishing success is more than I am willing to do. It all comes to a personal choice, and that choice is 'how badly do I need to catch a fish'? As I said at this paragraphs beginning, if I have a fish in hand taken on a particular fly pattern I have always been satisfied with the notion that they are taking my fly. :icon_wink

Hopefully this will not be considered negative,

Ard

FrankB2

Reaction score
I was in a fly shop about 7 years ago, and the topic of stomach pumps came up among the roughly 5 other people gathered there. I immediately told them that not only were stomach pumps a waste of money, but cruel. Now that I had their complete attention, I told them my preferred method for removing the contents of a fish's stomach. Once the fish is landed, take a mouthful of water from the stream, and gently force into the fish's mouth. Done properly, you can catch the regurgitated contents in your hand, and release the fish. I told this story with an absolutely straight face, and when one of the women anglers cringed, I told them it wasn't much different than giving CPR. I'm proud to say that I managed to keep that straight face long enough that none of the other anglers thought I was joking. Sick, but not joking...LOL!!!! I even told them that my method eliminated the need to have a smelly pump in your vest, and a quick rinse with stream water always left my mouth feeling clean. :D

P.S. Ard is 100% correct. Unless you're a fish biologist, the fish are biting/eating what you caught them on. No need to give
people more ammo to attack anglers. ;)

Joni

Reaction score
I am guilty of using one when I remember. For one thing, I am a tier so it is very interesting trying to match what I find. It has actually put me onto fish like crazy on numerous occasions.
In fact, I am sure we help a fish last weekend by doing it.

Leaving fish in the net - IN THE WATER, roll it over on its back. Filler the pump with water, and GENTLY insert it straight in. Give a little squeeze releasing the water and in turn, it sucks up a portion of what is in the fishes stomach. Remove and roll fish over. Let it regain it's direction and off they go.

Now, last weekend, while getting a sample from a nice size Kamloop, upon getting ready to release, a large green thing started coming out of the fishes mouth. I was a wad of weeds and fishing line. I pulled it gently making sure it was not attached internally, and I swear the fish gasped.

I think it's cool those that don't, don't. Their choice for sure. But for me it is the visual aid, and has turned a one fish day into several.

But, again, gently is the key and keep it in the water while doing so.

caseywise

Reaction score
never used one and probably never will. seems a little harsh on the trout, even if done correctly.
plus, isnt half the challenge of fly fishing determining what pattern will be effective for your target species?
just my.02

casey

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Mojo,
Please excuse my being so dense, but in the opening post you mention to "remember your talking stillwaters".

I don't understand the difference between pumping the stomach of a lake fish -vs- a river fish?

mojo

Reaction score
Mojo,
Please excuse my being so dense, but in the opening post you mention to "remember your talking stillwaters".

I don't understand the difference between pumping the stomach of a lake fish -vs- a river fish?
There seems to be more food in a lake or reservoir than in a river or stream- plus I've found fish will eat different food at different parts of a lake or reservoir.
I've never used a pump at a river or stream. Usually seined or looked under rocks. And you usually know what works on familar waters at certain times of the day and season. On new waters, local shops have the info.
No one says you can't use one on a river, I never have.
Another thing is, I don't troll a woolly bugger in my kickboat hoping to pick up a fish every now and then like a lot of stillwater fishers do.
Interesting thing Ard said in his post that "When I catch a trout I figure it is eating what I have hooked in its jaw and have never worried about what else he has eaten"
Sometimes it's the same on stillwaters, but a lot of times it's opportunistic feeding that might catch you a fish. 3 hours later, that's still the only one you hooked. Fyshstykr knows this as I'm sure he's tackled Strawberry more than once.
But remember, this is a blood sport we've choosen to participate in. My belief is still the same. If it's done right, no harm is done to the fish.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I once was pumped myself, so I decline to perform the same on a fish.
It can be very informative, as Joni said. Observed it many times done safely/correctly.
I worry about it as a sport trend though.
Probably a little like saying everyone can drive. Some shouldn't, even though "they can".
Even though we have an extensive menu on the T, I'm with mojo on lake usage.
It's far more mysterious beneath the still waters. Bigger fish too...

Jim