The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default What kind of glasses for night fishing?

I'm going to be doing some night fishing the next couple of weeks, but I refuse to fling bugs in the dark without something covering my eyes. This will be my first time doing night fishing, so what do you use? I'm not a glasses wearear, so I was thinking about yellow lensed sunglasses. Am I on the right track?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What kind of glasses for night fishing?

I wear glasses, so I'm covered there. But why the yellow tint? Where I night fish, it's pitch black so I'm not sure if any tinting would be necessary. I would go for a nice pair of safety glasses.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-11-2011, 11:37 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the headlamp kind.

ARFE
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The yellow ones work good in the low light, but clear are better at night. It is a pretty good idea to wear some to. I hit myself in the eye with a clouser, and it is pure luck I still have both eyes. I don't spey cast at all without eye protection. I don't flyfish in the dark without eyewear spey casting or single hand casting.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair of Native sunglass with changeable lenses. It came with polorized copper, yellow, and clear.

I usually put on the yellow when it's starting to get dark and I'm always surprised when I get back to the car and take them off because it's usually much darker than I think it is.

Yellow seems to have a way of gathering whatever light is around and amplifying it.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I just use clear safety glasses. If I forget them, I just keep on my sunglasses since I can't see anything anyhow.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for clear safety glasses when it is dark.

Dennis
Old 06-13-2011, 03:15 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I've never worn any glasses when night fishing, and as of yet I haven't popped myself in the face with a zoo cougar...I might consider it if it was windy. If I start a cast that errantly I can usually tell if it is heading my way in time to duck, even in the dark just by feel. It would probably be a good idea for me to take some safety glasses along.