The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   I May Have Found the Boat of My Dreams (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/148324-i-may-have-found-boat-my-dreams.html)

Glen Wright 06-11-2011 10:23 PM

I May Have Found the Boat of My Dreams

I've wished for a boat that could do a little of everything for a while and Bob Clouser posted a photo of what just might be exactly what I've hoped for, but figured didn't even exist. I have a bit more experience with boats then folks here know as I fished and piloted every boat my father ever owned from a commercial fishing boat he owned for a couple years in Bodega Bay to everything between it and a 12' foot Klamath Aluminum.

Heres a link to the boat that Bob Clouser had on his FB page. Towee Boats & Technical Fishing Skiffs

Sounds like I could take one of these on any pond, lake or river I'd be interested in fishing. Including drifting the Lower Sac or Lower Yuba. Do a little tide water fishing too, which I've not done in many years and love to do.

So what you all think.

caseywise 06-11-2011 10:45 PM

Re: I May Have Found the Boat of My Dreams

looks like a great little skiff to me. any idea on price?
that would be perfect for the lakes that i have around me
here in northern illinois.

casey

Glen Wright 06-11-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseywise (Post 269869)
any idea on price?

Not yet, but I may contact them next week to find out!

Davec921 06-11-2011 11:07 PM

Was looking at them as well
here is right off there site

Specifications
LOA 16'1"
Beam 52"
Transom 15"
Draft 4" Fully Loaded
Dry Weight 195 lbs
Power 8 to 20hp Outboard
Price $2995
Features

100% Composite Construction No Wood!
Hand laminated hull
Made in the US substrate materials and resins
Unique hull design provides legendary stability and stealth
Forward casting deck standard
Dry Ride
Built in storage for up to 8 9.5' fly rods or multiple shotguns
Bench seats at optimal height to serve as a casting platform
Excellent performance under power, oars or push pole
Easy to load, launch and tow

Hardyreels 06-11-2011 11:52 PM

Tom,

I took a look around the net for 20hp jet drives and it looks like Mercury sells one. I would get a jet for that because nothing ruins a day like whacking a prop when you're running a river. As long as you don't get into tide water too much or with heavy chop the jet will get you out and back. Speaking of chop with the flat bottom having a prop won't smooth that out anyway.

I would do the Merc 20 because if you use it on any fair size river you're going to appreciate the power and with that intake vs. a prop you will have less trouble. You just have to trust me on the jet thing, I've broke enough props and shear pins to really appreciate a jet drive :)

With a 20, I'd get with them for a custom package, you'll want the seat about mid ship and use an extension tiller to drive. With the big motor and a driver at the rear trim could be a problem. Besides trim issues I never liked having to look over the bow from a stern seat to spot obstacles.

Glen Wright 06-12-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 269894)
Besides trim issues I never liked having to look over the bow from a stern seat to spot obstacles.

I'm with you on that I never ran through rivers with many obsticles, but I do remember not liking a stern seat either. I went to Mercs site and saw that jet drive it sounds like its pretty sweet. I wouldn't likely fish tide water more than a couple times a year and never unless it was expected to be pretty flat.

BigCliff 06-13-2011 08:34 AM

Those look appealing to me as well.

I think they're a replica of a Scott Boat- The Original ScottBoat | Find All Your ScottBoat Needs Here! | It's Time For A ScottBoat! except made in the US instead of Canada, and with some big names backing them.

Frank Whiton 06-13-2011 04:31 PM

Hi FlyBum,

That is a nice looking skiff. My first thought like Ard was a Jet. The boat doesn't have any rocker and should work good with power. I would be thinking a 25 or 30 hp jet would be my choice. The outboard jet is very inefficient and the added horse power would be appreciated.

I see one problem with the boat for a jet. The rear pad is slightly rounded and it needs to be straight flat for best results. You can correct that with a simple modification. I can't tell how far back the keel runs. It needs to stop at least 4 foot or so from the transom if you use a jet.

Another strange thing I see in the photos is the forward casting deck. I would want the front casting deck but they put a hatch right in the middle of the deck and it is not flush with the top of the deck. You would be stumbling over that lid. You may want the battery up front.

Since the hull has no rocker it would not be a good boat to row in a river.

Frank

Glen Wright 06-13-2011 06:27 PM

Frank, You made some good points, so perhaps this is not what I'm looking for after all. So I'm back to saving to buy the Skadden frameless that can also have a fram for when I want to add a small outboard motor.