The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of those days.

Ever have one of those days when things just don't go quite right? Happened to me this afternoon. I was at the Rapid River, which is much better to fish when the current is about half of what it is right now. But it is kind of fun to swing flies in it.

Mishap number one was to let the line swing all the way down. I went to do a cackhanded double spey and put my fly back across the river. But when I went into the cast the fly did not come out of the water. So I tried to raise the fly and retry the cast and still it would not come out of the water. At this point I see a small Smallmouth jump as if to say "Stop trying to cast me!". It must have hit as I went up into the start position and never felt it hit.
Click the image to open in full size.
Mishap number two was after letting the Smallmouth go, I hooked a little Northern Pike. Apparently I did the Eddie Murphy quart of blood technique on the poor little guy (it makes a quart of blood drop right out of your body). It was to small to fillet and I hope he made it. But I gorked him fairly bad.

Mishap number three and only 20 minutes or so into my fishing, I do a cackhand snake roll and intercept a flying Pelican. Nailed it square in the left wing knocking it out of the air, and of course the fly is stuck. I'm thinking, maybe I can get it close and pop the fly loose without getting a beak in the eye. but it is in the current and wants no part of me. Pelicans fight pretty hard. Next thing I know the leader breaks and there goes my brand new clouser in the wing of a ticked off bird.
Click the image to open in full size.

I figure when things are going like this in all of 20 minutes or so, it's time to call it quits and go home.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: One of those days.

DD, memorable as always. nice smallie though.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Shame about the hooked bird Dan I bet that pretty much put a damper on the day. Next time we talk I'll tell you about the one I messed up trying to land two days ago............Dunder headed blunder cost me a nice king. Anyway I changed to a 9 weight 52' head and it works a world better than the 8. I also built some leaders with a 24" braided lead head spliced into the middle and they cast so much better than a 15' 160 grain type 6 sink tip and still get my flies down With the heavier line I can do some fancy casts now with little effort, it's a huge improvement.

Funny, I knew for two years the rod wasn't loading but didn't buy this line until last October............... It worked out well though because after working with a 'too light line' once I put the right stuff on there it's like the good fairy waved the magic wand and said you are now 100% better and......poof!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dan you fish everything that moves!!!....even pelicansyou're a poacher
Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

LOL JP... my friend, you are a bit unwell in the head!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
LOL JP... my friend, you are a bit unwell in the head!
I know Mike....justmy friend Dan
Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Cackhand? That is an odd term.

It does seem you had an eventful day. lol.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a pretty interesting day, Dan! You should have kept going. Maybe someone was hang gliding nearby. I heard they're tough to net.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

The plus is you're the only guy on the planet with that trifecta; smallie-pike-pelican; and with the cockhand no less. A rare one it would seem.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Perhaps not the way you planned the day, but you'll have to admit it was memorable!