The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:14 PM

utc2011 is on a distinguished road
Default How would you fish this beautiful stream?

Hey all,
Today my brother and I went fishing for the first time this year. We went to the Quinapoxet River in MA, which flows into the Wachusetts Reservoir. It is a small stream, fast flowing, scattered with rocks (riffles?). The river has stream born brown and brook trout (though this may be a myth), but the state stocks it with rainbow trout as well. The air temperature was 69, and it was overcast and drizzling. We had a blast just being out of the house on the water, but unfortunately we didn't catch anything. I dont think I know what I'm doing . Ive posted some pics of the river below. It would really help me out if you all could tell me how you would go about fishing this river.
Heres what I did:
When I got to the stream, I tied on a #14 Royal Wulff, stood on a rock, and cast about halfway into the stream. Within a few minutes, I got a strike, but unfortunately I had so much slack line on the water that I couldnt set the hook... and then I fell off the rock, probably scaring away all the fish from that stretch of the water. I kept casting, but in the pocket water, my fly seemed to go underwater after only a few seconds, or get pulled fast downstream by my floating fly line. I tried to mend the line but this would too pull my fly underwater? Next, I tied on a woolly bugger and tried to float it down the riffle, but I felt this was cheating (no casting involved) and it kept getting caught under the rocks. After losing the fly in a tree (an all too common occurrence I tied on a green stimulator, but alas I had the same problem (sinking fly and a lot of drag), and even when I thought I had a good drift, I didnt get any strikes, nor did I see any rises during my time fishing.
I saw a few other fisherman on the river, and I know it holds trout, so I must being doing something (or a lot of things wrong).
While fishing, I didnt notice a hatch, but I did see lots of water striders on the water. There were also plenty of mosquitoes, and some kind of large black nympth (about 1 inch long) clinging to many of the rocks (I posted a picture below).
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how you would fish this river (whether you would use a wet or dry fly, fish upstream or downstream), or fish pocket water in general?
Please help a beginner fisherman out, and thanks for the advice!
Thanks,
Bob

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Also, please let me know if you can't view the pictures and Ill try to post them again
Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How would you fish this beautiful stream?

Sorry, I'm not seeing any of your photos.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM

Here is a link to the pictures. Im not sure why they didnt embed

Flickr: utc2011's Photostream
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

In this type of water I would stick to the pocket water throwing a dry dropper rig. The problem with your fly dragging is you're allowing your fly line to get caught in the current.

Try casting to where your fly line is never in the water for example cast over a rock so only your leader is in the water allowing you the most natural drift possible.

If the previous tip is not possible try lifting your rod tip and stripping in the excess line, you want the least amount of fly line on the water as possible.

Also if the stream is heavily fished try a more stealthy approach, crouch, hide behind rocks.... anything keeping you out of the line of sight of wary trout.

Also I always fish upstream, it allows you the most natural drift possible. And always fish the tail of the pool first, don't cast into the middle because fish sometimes hold in the tail ends of the pool... and if you spook these fish odds are is the entire whole hole is spooked.

The nymph is a black stone fly, try using this as your dropper and i guarantee you you will hook up.

-Chris
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If your having trouble keeping slack out of your line, keep your casts short, about 10 yards or so. That way instead of stripping in the slack, you can just lift your rod to keep tension on the line and as the line passes you(assuming you cast upstream which I recommend) you then slowly lower your rod.

A nymphing technique the I recently started to use and have some success at is do as I mentioned but when you cast, cast upstream and across from you. Let the fly drift back downstream and when it gets to the end of the line the fly will swing back across to your side of the stream. After it swings across, smoothly lift the fly from the bottom of the stream to the top, let it pause at the top, and cast again. Apparently some bugs do this when they leave the waters for the air.

I tried it and saw a decent number of fish watch the fly rise and at the pause rush over to slam the fly. Half the time I was so interested in watching the fish I would miss setting the hook.

Good Luck!
Ant
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great stream to fish...if you allow me to add my two cents take a 10ft rod(4 or 5 wt) wade usptream and cast your dry with only between one or five ft of line out,hold your rod high so that only the fly or a part of your tippet is on the water(see pic).Pity I can't explain what a"poste" or a "trout's house" is... so guess where the fish is feeding or hiding...after some years you'll read this kind of stream like a book
my son Nico fishing fast waters...with red spots where he casted his fly...and it works
Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I will try it out when I go back, hopefully next weekend.
I have one more question though. Should I try casting to all those spots in the stream even if I can't see fish there?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You should...fish are not easy to see in such waters and those which are "at home"(hiding under rocks or hollow banks and cavities) are not visible but may go out if your fly is very close

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

here's a little video that may help you...these guy and gal are not bad at fishing fast waters
Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

JP has it right. You'd be amazed at the nice size fish that can hide between 2 little rocks. You can have better luck fishing spots that should have fish instead of waiting to see spots that do have fish.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM

paulhaggo is on a distinguished road

thank you for the info, great reading!