The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default sage vantage vs. sage Flight vs TFO BVK

would like to get your alls opinions on these 3 rods. i thought putting them in here vs the rod forum might get a few more views.
i had a Sage Flight 590-4 a while back in stupidity i sold along with most of my gear and now am comming back and looking for a new rod.
been looking at the TFO BVK pretty hard but also dont know much about it.
so thought some of you might give me some opinions on these 3 rods. the Flight i had i could cast very well and was a nice rod. love the idea of the light weight of the BVK and TFO has a good rep as well so leaning pretty hard to it. but with the Vantage at about the same price point as the TFO got to throw in in the mix as well.
i havent casted the BVK or the TFO rod yet. might try and make a run up to feathercraft this weekend and see if i can cast them and see how i like them. but thought i would get your alls opinion on them first
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: sage vantage vs. sage Flight vs TFO BVK

I used to think I really wanted a Flight- powerful but not a broomstick, light, but not crazy pricey.

Then I cast a BVK. To me, its everything a Flight is, for $150 less.

I've heard the Vantage is a big improvement over Sage's other "beginner" rods, but I haven't cast one yet.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

im gonna try and go cast them and check them out at Feathercraft this weekend and see how they are..the weight of them is a big thing to me as well as the price....$150 cheaper and almost a full oz lighter and has Recoil guides as well that i like as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

I love the Vantage and I think it's about 85% as good as the ZXL for 1/3 the price.

I asked if the Vantage was a new "entry level" rod or a revamp of an old rod. Here's what Sage said...

"The Vantage is based on the old RP/VPS model but overall, it has a lot of improvements like, slimmer diameter ferrules, smoother taper, and lower swing weight."
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been an avid TFO user for 5 years now and I'm very happy with their products. I don't own a BVK, but I have Axioms, TiCR's and TiCRx's and love 'em all. I'll save you my technical review on the rods since casting one yourself is worth more than anything I could type.
I picked up a Sage Launch in an 8WT over the winter and have fished it for 4 months now, it's slower than the TFO's I own which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it's a great rod and although I have no major complaints I'm not seeing a benefit for my added expense.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 PM

im going to check one of the BVK rods out this weekend at feathercraft and cast is. only bad thing i wanted to try out a 9' 5wt but all they have is a 8'6 5wt....but that will at least get me an idea of them
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

I own two Sage Vantage 9' rods (4wt and 6wt), and have no other item to compare with. I'm relatively new to fly fishing, or should I say I've been at it for a few years but not with much actual experience other than some largemount bass and bluegills from my local canals and ponds.

I like the feel of both, and they each cast with measured ease (and with good distance). When coupled with the Sage Carbon Fiber reel, my 6Wt is as light as they come. I've measured my consistent cast distance with the 6Wt to be 70+ feet in my front lawn on a calm day. The 4wt of course is significantly less, but long enough to get to most of the fish I've targeted.

One curiosity I have developed and cannot find the answer to is to know if the Vantage line is considered to be Medium Action or something else. If I am sensing any lack at all, it may be that I'd like to have it be a little stiffer. I guess that means my preference would be for a fast action rod. Does that make any sense?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

The BVK has no soul. I bought a bvk took it the river and cast it. Returned to the dealer for a refund. I would rather have echo carbon than the best of the tfo's.
variant likes this.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamike View Post
I own two Sage Vantage 9' rods (4wt and 6wt), and have no other item to compare with. I'm relatively new to fly fishing, or should I say I've been at it for a few years but not with much actual experience other than some largemount bass and bluegills from my local canals and ponds.

I like the feel of both, and they each cast with measured ease (and with good distance). When coupled with the Sage Carbon Fiber reel, my 6Wt is as light as they come. I've measured my consistent cast distance with the 6Wt to be 70+ feet in my front lawn on a calm day. The 4wt of course is significantly less, but long enough to get to most of the fish I've targeted.

One curiosity I have developed and cannot find the answer to is to know if the Vantage line is considered to be Medium Action or something else. If I am sensing any lack at all, it may be that I'd like to have it be a little stiffer. I guess that means my preference would be for a fast action rod. Does that make any sense?
The Vantage is described as medium-fast, but compared to a super fast rod such as the Z or ONE it's probably considered medium action. Compared to the Redington Classic Trout the Vantage is definitely on the faster side of medium. I'd say you're gonna want to try a fast rod next.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
The BVK has no soul. I bought a bvk took it the river and cast it. Returned to the dealer for a refund. I would rather have echo carbon than the best of the tfo's.
No soul? How do you gauge a rod's soul?
billyspey likes this.