The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM

spaceod is on a distinguished road
Default fly fishing newbie - rod question

Hi All,

Just to get this out of the way - i am a complete fly fishing newbie (in fact, i am yet to hold / use a fly fishing setup).

Since i get to spend a lot of my weekends in the western Catskills (NY) i get to see and quite a few people fly fishing out there and, well, it looks like a lot of fun.

So, as an impulse buy, i got a Redington Crosswater Fly Fishing Outfit on a pretty decent discount online just the other day. Only after that did i start reading about peculiarities of rods / reels / lines and realized that the rod / reel combo i got is a 8wt.

according to some publications i found online, this is considered a "heavy" rod and is usually used for larger catch.

So here are my few questions:
is this rod not the right thing for a beginner?

What is the relationship between rod and line weight rating ie, can i use a lighter line with this rod?

if i was after large / small mouth bass as well as trout, will changing the line help?

Thanks for any input and excuse my ignorance in the matter,

~a
Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly fishing newbie - rod question

A 8wt rod is for big fish and not easy to cast for a beginner...you may underline it with a 7wt line but it won't solve the problem.The most versatile rod is a 9' 5wtand you can already catch good size fish with it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'll echo the comments.. #8 is probably way too large for you.

Unerlining it with a 6 or 7 weight line, will probably make the rod even harder to cast.

An #8 is for large fish, Steelhead, Salmon etc..

A #5 is good (although I prefer the even numbers #4 and a 6# - but then you buy 2)

I pick the rod based on the size of the stream and the fish. Example: fishing for 6-10" brookies I'd use a #2..
Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM

pastor dave is on a distinguished road

I am still relatively new to the sport, okay I am still really new to the sport. I picked up a TFO nxt setup, which was reasonably priced and have had no problems with it. I got the 4/5 wt, that would be my suggestion but I am partial to TFO, you can't complain with their warranty, and customer service.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM

spaceod is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick responses guys - i will return this setup and look for a 5wt fly rod.

thanks again and happy fishing!

~a
Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi spaceod,

Welcome to the forum, always good to see new faces. Looking forward to hearing about your new venture.

Feel free to ask any questions, there are many experienced folks here who are more than willing to help.

Here is a section of the forum that Frank has put together with some of the most frequently asked questions with very good info.
Fly Fishing Gear FAQ - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Something I suggest for getting started is getting some flesh and blood help - pay a guide if you can, find a friend who fishes. There is nothing like someone there to give pointers and to fish with (safer too). Also Orvis offers free fly fishing 101 classes, if you have a local Orvis and a free Saturday I'd call them.

Enjoy the 5 wt!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 AM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

get an umpqua baitfish and a dancing frog and go nail some bass with your 8 wt heh