The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default When is it a good idea to overline?

I've never overlined a rod but I am thinking of using an 11 wt sage equator general-purpose saltwater line on my 10 wt xi2. How would it affect my casting?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: When is it a good idea to overline?

I'm generally opposed to overlining, but I've cast that rod, and its pretty damn stout.

Overlining that rod would bend it more deeply with the same length of line out, and make it easier to cast bigger flies. It would probably help you get casts out quicker when fishing from the deck of a boat as well.

Downside is you're throwing more weight which can get tiring, and it may open your loops up and thus interfere with throwing into the wind.

On that rod, I say go for it. (with a real 11wt line, not a Outbound, which is actually a 13wt)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:21 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'm generally opposed to overlining, but I've cast that rod, and its pretty damn stout.

Overlining that rod would bend it more deeply with the same length of line out, and make it easier to cast bigger flies. It would probably help you get casts out quicker when fishing from the deck of a boat as well.

Downside is you're throwing more weight which can get tiring, and it may open your loops up and thus interfere with throwing into the wind.

On that rod, I say go for it. (with a real 11wt line, not a Outbound, which is actually a 13wt)
How much would it affect throwing big flies into the wind? It is generally pretty windy out here on the west coast.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well, if its a bulky air resistant fly, the heavier line will be more effective at towing it through the air. Any time you're casting a fly, the air resistance of the fly is counteracting the inertia of the fly line. That's why you can throw a bass bug so much further with a 8wt than you can with a 5wt.

However, you still need to make tight loops to penetrate the wind. Its like if you teed up a golf ball and a tennis ball, and then whacked them equally with a big bertha. The golf ball is going to fly further because its more aerodynamic, despite the fact that a tennis ball weighs nearly twice as much. Tight loops work better for the same reason.

By overlining that rod, you may find it easier to throw wide loops, but its still very possible to tighten them up by adjusting your casting stroke and haul.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.