The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 06:45 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flyfishing masters show

Another post mentioned this show and I was wondering if anyone else watches it or what they think of it.

Personally, I enjoy the show. It gives me a chance to dream of fishing trips.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM

rdf1212 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flyfishing masters show

I enjoyed watching it, but didn't like how much some of the groups argued.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM

mrheuer is on a distinguished road

I did watch this and enjoyed see the fishing location as you did. I noted them and added to the long list of places I want to fish. I'm not sure if I will ever get to all of the list but at least I have it to dream. I was not crazy about it this year because it was an invitational, it was better when you picked you own team and anyone could get to the finals.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

"I was not crazy about it this year because it was an invitational, it was better when you picked you own team and anyone could get to the finals."

I hadn't seen it till this year so I didn't know they used to do it differently. The old way does sound more appealing.

The one thing I'd like to see on the show is having the anglers how they were fishing, their particular methods, what worked/what didn't, etc. It would be good to learn.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I enjoyed it as well, though I was disappointed to see Joe Humphreys get released so quickly.

All the arguing they showed was kinda a waste of time, but I guess they were trying to add the "reality" element to it. I think the reality is those two would have had arguments on how to install a light bulb.

I was suprised and impressed to see a guy a guy from the southern tip of TX be on the winning team, as there's not a lot of trout down there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 AM

Your post inspired a thought, BigCliff. One thing that could boost the show's appeal is to develop the personalities a bit. With the recent surge in fly fishing interest, there are a lot of newcomers (include me among them). For us, the show's participants are completely unknown e.g. I don't know who Joe Humphreys is.

The show might borrow a page from the poker rage--the shows you see give a few minutes to the players, interviewing them, etc. It helps create recognizable people that the viewers can relate to, pull for, etc.

On a lighter note, the other show we desperately need is a fly fishing version of American Chopper. We could call it American Fly Rodder. Get an old, grouchy guy supervising a a couple of his sons building a custom fly rod. Doesn't matter what kind of rod as long as there's plenty of yelling, screaming, angry outbursts, etc.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Joe Humphreys is a retired professor of the fly fishing course taught at Penn State University. He took the class when George Harvey was teaching it, and actually took the reins of teaching the class from Mr. Harvey. This gives info on the two of them and some of their achievments http://www.outdoortalknetwork.com/art261.html

Joe wrote a great book called "Trout Tactics" and has produced many great instructional videos on trout fishing. The two most popular are "A Casting Approach to Nymphing Tactics" and "Dry Fly Tactics In Tight Brush". Orvis was distributing them for a while, I'm not sure if they still are or not. I highly recommend both "Trout Tactics" and the Nymphing video, as they give great instruction opn how to get the flies to where the fish are and how to keep them there. I also like his approach to fishing simple buggy flies that are easy to tie.

I got to see Joe in person at the Fly Fishing show in Arlington, TX this past spring and he is just a delight to witness. He's in his 80's but is excited to have a chance to tell people about the sport that he loves, and to show off trick casts that seem almost impossible. Seeing an octogenarian show how to cast 80 feet while keeping his hands within a foot of his chest is quite impressive too.

I think Joe's methods and teaching style appeals to me so much because he is like one of those great coaches who is really excited about his sport. He also was a wrestling coach before getting into fishing instruction, (I wrestled in high school as well) and I think this gives him an advantage in explaining how to make your body work to gain control over your opponent (fish) and shows how to have fun while doing so.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:31 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

I suspect planted fish. I know a large number of folks who fished a stream they featured and they were amazed at the fish those guys pulled out.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

I was impressed with the chest fly box that Joe Humphreys used while fishing. I don't remember seeing any one else fish with one like he had. He could fetch a fly from it, and close it without fumbling around in his vest for a box...I did a search and found it to be made by the Richardson Chest Fly Box Company..www.chestflybox.com
I got me a catalogue and ordered me one. I may be no Joe Humphreys but I'm going to try a box like he uses..