The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Do you tie your own leaders ?

Good Day to All,

Salmon & soon steelhead time are upon those who
happen to live in Michigan & with that I was wondering
what most of you out there prefer when it comes to
leaders.

Do you tie up your own? Or do you purchase tapered
leaders at your local fly shop?

When I first started to go after larger fish ( Salmon/
steelhead ) I admit that I did buy some tapered leaders.
Now that I do not consider myself a beginner I tie my own.

How do you feel ? Which side of the tracks do you prefer ?
Do you find it cost effective to buy or tie ?

Enjoy what HE has given,
Always in the water,

Tie One On
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you tie your own leaders ?

I use Polyleaders and tippet. I get them from http://www.thefullcreel.com I have them on my floating, intermediate and sinking lines. They are the best thing since sliced bread and cast and turn over wonderfully. They run about $7 each and I have had the same ones for over a yr and dont see my having to replace them anytime soon.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

Is that the flourocarbon ones you're talking about? I've been meaning to try those. Someone told me the knots tend to slip, though. Is that true?

Bruce
Old 09-26-2006, 04:28 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

my experience with salmon and steelies dictates that since it's cheaper to tie my own, that's what I do. I'm typically not real technical about it, since all i'm looking for is a good drift, as opposed to turnover.

I've never had problems with slipping knots in flouro. i get far more line breakage than the wrangled mess at the end that usually signifies a bad knot.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceN
Is that the flourocarbon ones you're talking about? I've been meaning to try those. Someone told me the knots tend to slip, though. Is that true?

Bruce
Me? If so, no. They actually look like flyline with a mono core and perfection loops at either end.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I tie my own or I make my own furled. If I do buy, I buy Orvis, but I get a great price.

fshfanatic, I got to ask, why do you use a taper leader on a sinking line?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni
I tie my own or I make my own furled. If I do buy, I buy Orvis, but I get a great price.

fshfanatic, I got to ask, why do you use a taper leader on a sinking line?
I use the polyleaders because they cast better for me and I have alot better control over where my fly actually is.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
I use the polyleaders because they cast better for me and I have alot better control over where my fly actually is.

Interesting. On a sinking line I never use a tapered. The rod tip controls the line and as far as cast, with a weighted line, I have never thought presentation to be a big deal, it sinks. But, I guess I am a little tighter with the money, that I don't think it is worth the price of a tapered as appossed to 250 yrds of P-Line. Hasn,t effected my catch rate any
Old 09-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Not to butt in, but I sort of do what mike does as well. After all the tippet section of a leader has been used up and I'm starting to get into the taper, I'll snip it off about 2.5-3' further towards the butt and use that for a sinking line leader, after I tie on 18-24" of tippet. I find that the turn over a little better, and can still avoid paying $4 each for sinking line specific tapered leaders. (that are also sorta hard to find)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni
Interesting. On a sinking line I never use a tapered. The rod tip controls the line and as far as cast, with a weighted line, I have never thought presentation to be a big deal, it sinks. But, I guess I am a little tighter with the money, that I don't think it is worth the price of a tapered as appossed to 250 yrds of P-Line. Hasn,t effected my catch rate any
When you get them for the price I do......