The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM

KngFhearts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kayak or Pontoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I own a canoe and kayak outfitting business on the side and I think that qualifies me to say a word or two. All of the comments posted have been good but I would add a few things.

A used 9' kayak for $400 is either over-priced or a high performance white water boat and you don't want either of them. I suggest taking a pic of the kayak and or the pontoon and let us have a .

You can even get the make and model number and we will look it up and see if the boat will work.

Dave
Hi, the kayak is a Malibu Mini-X. Nothing special, comes with seat and paddle....thats it. Here in SoCal prices are a little higher (even for used gear) than other parts of the country. I found two other kayaks that are 11' and 12' on craigslist for $500.00 ( no seat or paddles)
I am not in a hurry since I could use it pretty much year 'round. I just keep looking...and waiting...for the right deal.

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway View Post
What is the make and model of the pontoon boat? How old is it? Can you use electric motors where you lake fish? if so many pontoon boats can accommodate electric motors. As a site sponsor you can pm me with any questions you may have regarding pontoons.
Hi, the pontoon boat is a Fish Cat 9 1-R. Looks used on the photos and has a hard folding seat, paddles...and that's it...$390.00.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Kngfhearts

I looked up the kayak and my opinion is not to buy it. The boat will track very well for a 9' 3" kayak and will feel stable when you sit in it, but this design that feels steady with little rocking will also tip over very quickly without warning...as in reaching to one side to release a fish. It will probably be uncomfortable to sit in for long periods also.

Keep an eye out for Old Town kayaks, their sit-inside boats are very comfortable and the openings are large enough to allow you to fall out with no problems if you flip. Also with a sit inside boat you have better protection from losing your stuff.

I weigh 250lbs and fish out of a 9' 6" otter with no problems (lots of practice) but a 12 footer would be much better.

Dave
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

If you do add an electric motor you may have to register your craft as a boat, in CA anyways. milt.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what LLBean is pushing now; and I'm seriously looking / thinking about one for the lakes/ponds around here. Now that I'm "streamless" but "pondfull", things are looking different to me.

Manatee Deluxe Angler Kayak Package: Kayak Packages at L.L.Bean

Pocono
Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Here's what LLBean is pushing now; and I'm seriously looking / thinking about one for the lakes/ponds around here. Now that I'm "streamless" but "pondfull", things are looking different to me.

Manatee Deluxe Angler Kayak Package: Kayak Packages at L.L.Bean

Pocono
That is a good looking kayak Allen. I am starting to search for a sea anchor to use with my kayak. It is such a drag (pun intended) trying to hold a good drift if there is any wind blowing.

Dave
Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
That is a good looking kayak Allen. I am starting to search for a sea anchor to use with my kayak. It is such a drag (pun intended) trying to hold a good drift if there is any wind blowing.

Dave
You can't beat Bean's warranty; if it's defective or if it ever breaks, you get a new one - free!

Pocono