The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM

bow addict has a spectacular aura aboutbow addict has a spectacular aura about
Default What's the strangest thing you've seen while out fishing?

I bet there are some great stories out there about strange things that you've run into while out on the water.

When I was a teenager we used to hike into this little mountain lake in N. California. One day I was there with my dad and two younger brothers. I was in a float tube in the middle and my dad and brothers were on the bank when a tree fell 50 yards into the woods directly behind my youngest brother. His eyes got about as big as dinner plates and he ran straight into the lake up to his waist. The rest of us all got a pretty good laugh out of it as he cleaned out his trousers.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's the strangest thing you've seen while out fishing?

A buddy & me were fishing from a canoe when a dragonfly landed on his nose. He panicked & went to swat it off & knocked his glasses over the side into the water. In a rush he jumped over the side of the canoe (capsizing it)
head first & ended up head first in the bottom muck. The water was only about 2 ft. deep. We gathered up our stuff (after I stopped laughing) & he did find his glasses after sifting thru the muck. He won't fish from my canoe anymore. Maybe it's because everytime I see him I swat my nose to remind him.

Neil
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I thought I saw a squirrel fall into the a stream. It came out with a crawdad in its mouth.

Dennis
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Just the other day I had a 4' shark chase some bait up on to the sandbar where I was fishing. In just inches of water.
Freaked me out
Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

1. 1974, Lake Isabella, Ca...guy fishing power bait gets a hit, sets the hook and watches as a pelican erupts from the water with his hook in the corner of his beak. This guy tried to break off the bird, but ended up reeling him in. That bird kicked his a$$ when he got close enough. I felt bad for the bird, but couldn't stop laughing.

2. Huntington Lake, Ca about 4-5 years ago....A massive thunderstorm upstream caused a flash flood on the feeder stream. My wife and I watched as the flood tore out MANY full sized pines and washed a huge log jam into the lake. There was a propane tank ripped off a cabin upstream that was spewing propane, spinning in the water for over an hour in the middle of the log jam. Pretty scary stuff. Upstream there was a car washed into the creek from a campsite.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Last season while walking a little stream that had spawning kokanee up in it, I spied a western gull "dancing" in the shallows.
Wings out, he was doing a silly circular side-step thing.
Looking closer, I saw something barely break the surface, looked pointed.
Turned out a big cray had taken posession of a dead fish and was standing his ground.
Mine, mine, mine.....
Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

long time ago i was fishing in a secluded (or so i thought) stretch of the blackfoot river in montana. it was late june. about 70 degrees out. i was high stick nymphing because there wasn't much action on the surface. got into a handful of 12-16" rainbows and cutthroats. and LOTS of whitefish.... it was a blast. anyway, i decided to take a break... cracked open a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon..... was walking along the shore when i heard voices... i emerged from some thick brush onto a sandy beach and there were 5 women sunbathing....NUDE. beer shot out my nose.... they noticed me and nonchalantly waved. i waved back and slowly stepped back into the brush.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

ps. they were pretty too.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

pss. i was double-rigged btw.... bead-head flash back pheasant tail and.... um.... i forgot.... some other nympho... i mean nymph....
Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Saw some deer crossing downstream and moved up on my side of the river. A little while later I hear some commotion in the thick brush behind me and figure it's the deer and don't pay a lot of attention to it. Brush and trees were really thick. I kept hearing it so I finally turned to look and here comes this huge black bear coming down to the water! It was about 20 yards from me and coming. I tried to get my camera out of my vest but he kept coming so I yelled and fell backwards into the water and he retreated up the hill somewhere. Don't know hwere he went and didn't care as long as it wasn't next to me!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea for a thread...great stories.Unfortunately I can't tell you here what's the strangest thing I've seen while fishing
it'll be censored
Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Last year while fishing the Upper Sac my adult son and I ran into a fully naked couple all tangled up together.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.