The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Troutnut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What kind of hat do you wear?

I got my Indiana Jones hat at a local leatherworking place:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni I have worn the Lochsa river hat for 2 years now, and can totally understand the grief from friends, but like you said it is funny how many of them have em now.
I have to have a big ol hat outside for work, as I have a landscape maintenence company and am always in the sun.

I just purchased a new one from Riverz for next year, the old one will be relegated to work only, and the new one will be on the river.

The pics of this hat do not do it justice, really is a sharp hat as soon as the new wears off.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

What ever I wear, I want it to blend in with my surroundings, dark or camo for the woods and light on the flats....trout see white or straw color they are gone...This one is to light...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-29-06 075.jpg (40.7 KB, 13 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Weird title I know. But a serious subject none the less. I'm new here so I get a pass on my first posting.

My Father-in-law had surgery on friday for skin cancer that had developed on his face. They took a good portion of facial tissue and some bone as a precaution. Looks like he's going to be OK, thank God. He has always been an avid outdoors type - rancher and gentleman farmer. His primary headwear had been his signature ball cap. Either a farm supply gimme or a Texas Rangers cap during the playing season. This ordeal sure got me to thinking about my own sun protection. Traditionally I have worn a ball cap, slapped on some sunscreen and pretty much left it at that. If it got really hot, I'd stuff a bandana under the hatband to protect my ears and neck. I've always been a bit of a cheap skate about my own headgear. The idea of spending real money on a hat just didn't register with me. I always figured the money was put to better use on a new line or some flys. No more. Its broad brim from here on out. Price be damned. Especially at altitude.

What do you wear? And is it giving you enough protection? Think about it. Skin cancer is serious stuff. This was definitely a wake up call for me.
At 65, this is what I have been using for the past 4 years in salt and gloves...young guides in the Keys...showed me...it is not as hot as it appears...most of the day I pull it upto the sunglasses...called "Buff" Tm. It works...they have other colors and patterns now..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg permitmask.jpg (96.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
What ever I wear, I want it to blend in with my surroundings, dark or camo for the woods and light on the flats....trout see white or straw color they are gone...This one is to light...

Me thinks you worry too much about fish seeing you.LOL
Oh sure there are some GIN CLEAR waters around here, but the saying goes, if you can see the fish head on, they can see you no matter what you are wearing. Shadows, unusual movement, whatever.
It is all in approach. If it is that clear, approach from the rear so to speak.

I fish with a RED/YELLOW/GREEN as well as matted rods, shiny reels, Pink Shirt and a lucky YELLOW cap or White Straw and usually out fish my partners.....I like to think it is the choice of fly and delivery.
This is just my thing...Camo is really kewl also.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough

I wear the Columbia Duck Key hat, basically a light weight, quick drying wide brim hat. I like some thing really light on my head while I'm out all day long. I used to use baseball caps, but I've had too many close with 2/0 hooks whizzing by my ears while I'm in the boat, hence the wide brim hat for a little bit more protection from clients and occasionally myself

No matter what kind of hat you wear, it's always a must to put sun screen on, especially anglers. A hat doesn't do much from the suns reflection off the water, so always wear it. I use the Avon SSS products that have bug guard and sun screen protection and works great.

On the note of head protection, always wear your uv blocking eye wear. Sun reflection of the water is much worse than being off the water, plus you never know when one of the stray flies comes towards your eyes
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Very good points!! Sunblock, hat, and sunglasses, gotta have em.

I Can relate to how important Sunglasses are for eye safety, for a few reasons.
Took a #6 hopper in the top of the schnoz once, "Sooooo glad I had my
sunglasses on".

And I've had my share of eye issues & procedures, All could be contributed to by the Sun, already had cataracts, ( lenses replaced in both eyes.) & secondary cataracts that they blast apart with a lazer, Doctor told me that I was very young to have cataracts already @ 39.
And then a wierd looking tissue growth removed , actually having that procedure done again next week and not looking forward to it.

I shouldn't have worn my regular glasses in the Sun so much when I was younger, but I couldn't always afford prescription sunglasses, and I chose not to wear any of the other options that went over my glasses.

Anyway, take better care of your eyes than I have, and remember that you only get one set of them.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-08-2007, 04:57 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Me thinks you worry too much about fish seeing you.LOL
Oh sure there are some GIN CLEAR waters around here, but the saying goes, if you can see the fish head on, they can see you no matter what you are wearing. Shadows, unusual movement, whatever.
It is all in approach. If it is that clear, approach from the rear so to speak.

I fish with a RED/YELLOW/GREEN as well as matted rods, shiny reels, Pink Shirt and a lucky YELLOW cap or White Straw and usually out fish my partners.....I like to think it is the choice of fly and delivery.
This is just my thing...Camo is really kewl also.
It is late in the day and Portia tries to quote the Bard's line but does not complete it ...Me think he doth protest too much...but I believe it matters not the color or style but whether to stand fast and not waive about...
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Some really helpful ideas here in this thread (as well as some warnings to the younger "immortal" generation as to what unprotected sun exposure can get you).

Being in Texas as a number of the other posters are, we take our hats pretty seriously, meaning that they have to breathe pretty well in our high heat and humidity, but also protect the back of the neck and especially the ears (I've had a skin cancer removed from the ears but from nowhere else - yet - which tells you there's dangers there that can't be protected by a ballcap).

It's hard to beat a breathable straw cowboy hat with a wind tiedown in our conditions, but they don't pack well if you have to travel like I do to flyfish. In my closet full of hats pursuing the "Holy Grail" for travel purposes, I've come up with two winners:

1 - For really rainy conditions (a/k/a Northwest & Alaska), the Outdoor Research Nor'wester Sombrero stood me in really good stead on last summer's Alaskan fly-fishing. While it looks, frankly, kind of dorky (my 17-year-old daughter says I look like "Cap'n Gorton of the USS Fishsticks"), it breathes extremely well with state-of-the-art wicking material, is adjustable, has a chinstrap and buttons up on both sides when wanted.

2 - For normal conditions, Cabela's River Guide Original Canvas Breezer Hat has a full-mesh side crown for breathability and two wind tiedowns - front & rear.

And both are packable.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

1 - For really rainy conditions (a/k/a Northwest & Alaska), the Outdoor Research Nor'wester Sombrero stood me in really good stead on last summer's Alaskan fly-fishing. While it looks, frankly, kind of dorky (my 17-year-old daughter says I look like "Cap'n Gorton of the USS Fishsticks"), it breathes extremely well with state-of-the-art wicking material, is adjustable, has a chinstrap and buttons up on both sides when wanted.

2 - For normal conditions, Cabela's River Guide Original Canvas Breezer Hat has a full-mesh side crown for breathability and two wind tiedowns - front & rear.

Hi Neil,

I like that Outdoor Research Nor'wester Sombrero. I have posted a picture so others can see it.

Since you are in Texas you need to use caution with any hat that is ventilated like Cabela's River Guide hat. I can tell you for sure that you can get sunburned wearing such a hat. Of course I don't have any hair to offer some protection. The only ventilated mesh hats that I have found that work are the hats that use a double layer of material so the holes don't line up together. When I live in Phoenix and now in Florida, I got a lot of opportunities to test various hats and shirts while playing golf or fishing. The style of the River Guide hat is not good for extreme sun conditions. Any one wearing this style of hat should know that they are not getting good sun protection.

Frank

Outdoor Research Nor'wester Sombrero

Cabel's River Guide Hat