The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What kind of hat do you wear?

Frank, where did you get those pictures? I got the impression (possibly mistaken) from BigCliff's posting that the Sonora Sombrero was no longer being made.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

Well now that is a secret. Here is a link to the site. It sounded to me that it was no longer available so that is why I ask if this was the one. Their Super Safari Cap looks interesting also. Its hard to find a good Suplex hat. I wish I had The North Face Hat when I was Bear hunting in Alaska.

Frank

The Super Safari Hat

Click the image to open in full size.

The North Face Hat
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:52 PM

nu2trout is on a distinguished road

Not sure what you would call it but it is from Orvis, and I picked it up several years ago. It is a wide brimmed het, but not like a panama hat. I think it is made of suede or some other heavy material. It gets a little hot in the summer, but has vents in it. You can kinda see it in my avatar. I have looked for it several times in the past couple of years but cant find it, many people have commented on it.
Maybe he should wear a bandana like the flats guys do, so they dont have to worry about getting sun screeen in their eyes.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I had to do a little research to figure out that my hat is a Barhma style hat. I gather it's a type of fedora. In any case, it's broad brimmed, dark brown, and looks like something you'd see in the Australian outback. Got it at Cabela's on clearance. I consider it my one concesion to vanity.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

BigCliff & Frank, it appears from the website Frank linked to that in fact this hat is for sale, in both colors (although I'd note that when you click on the More Info button, a different hat than these comes up, so I don't know how an actual purchase would go of it). Anyway, I'm always interested in a hat that will breath well in desert or Gulf Coast-type climates, so I'd be interested in any hands-on experience anyone has in how Outdoor Research's Sonora Sombrero copes in hot weather compared to their Nor'wester Sombrero, which is what I have.
Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE]

Neil
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

I have one of those helmets that holds two beers with the hose from each going into my mouth.....just kiddin'. I can't believe no body's gone there.

I have a felt outback style hat that has fold down ear flaps for when it's cold.

Vented outback style somewhat like the Cabelas for summer when it's hot.

fish or DIE
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

This company has some great outdoor hats.Riverz™ Amphibious Hats

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684

If you're looking for a good quality hat, buy from a good quality hat store. My dad actually owns one in Cleveland (shameless plug), called Mike the Hatter, mikethehatter : Western Cowboy Hats – Men’s Hats – Stetson Hat – Kangol Caps- Straw – Fedora, and we ship all over the world. Below are two that I really like, the mesh is good for summer and the twill is good for colder weather. Barmah makes good quality hats in lots of good styles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b1056.jpg (9.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg aoutback.jpg (9.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Whats Your hat when fishin'?

Trying to find the right hat for comfort and to keep the sun off of you....... Lambster chooses a light weight Felt Stentson to protect from the burning sun and for comfort in Hot or cold fishing..... Whats you Hat?

Lambster
Old 08-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Whats Your hat when fishin'?

Hi Lambster,

Here is a link to a former thread about hats. Got lots of responces.

Frank