The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fav. fishing hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
Just got a new one. Trout Slayer Ale hat.
I had to check it out.... good choice

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What kind of hat do you wear?

Well, for me it's that old classic, the Filson Packer hat. It's waterproof, tough and in my opinion, looks pretty good(?) And it's very good at keeping the black flies (Quebec avian emblem at least 4 weeks a year)away from your eyes.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

Military boonies hat camo for summer and a akubra felt fidora for the rest of the year and yes i too have had basal cell cancer removed from my temples so i can testify to the need for good hats and sun protection
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

By and large, there's been two basic hat styles that have been recommended - "baseball"-type caps and brimmed hats (with some variant styles like the French Foreign Legion ballcap-style-with-neck/ear covers).

Baseball caps are a complete non-starter. Your ears and the back of your neck are completely exposed to the sun. If you (like I) have had basil cancer removed from your ears, it's a non-brainer to use head cover that protects the ears and back of the neck (like the brimmed hat I use).

I see many "macho" types here in Texas using - and reveling - in the baseball-type hats; it fits pretty well with the Texas ethos (which I appreciate). However, if most of these guys could see the skin results 20 years later, possibly they'd recognize the wisdom of their forebearers in using brimmed hats, cowboy style or otherwise.

Just my 2c - FWIW.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

I'm a HUGE Texas Longhorns fan! So I would feel naked if I didn't have my Longhorns Hat on! lol

HookEmHorns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Sideline Cap.jpg (13.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Back when I used to wear a hardhat all the time I'd feel naked without a hat so I started wearing a baseball style hat. Now there are people I know who have never seen me without a hat. For out west hi country I'll switch to a stilson. & for the tropics a crushable sun hat or a Panama..
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Farnsrocket is on a distinguished road

I figured this was a good place to post this.....I hope this is OK.

I have a Sage hat for sale:

Sage tin cloth hat - Fly Fishing Classifieds