The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Trout and light

I am just wondering if trout are sensitive to colored light. Would they be spooked by a dim red light from a head lamp? There are a couple of places I want to fish at night but it would be really hard to walk in without any type of light. So I was hoping I could use the red light on my head lamp that is pretty dim but still allows you to see where youre going.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout and light

I can't say about trout specifically, but a red light doesn't seem to bother striped bass (where a sudden white light would send them flying).

And the other bonus is that it doesn't affect your night vision the way a white light does-- it might take 20 minutes for eyes to readjust to the dark after turning on a white light.

For what it's worth, while actually fishing at night I keep the lights off unless I really ned them to unhook a fish (the least likely "problem" in my case) or untangle something (very likely).