The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 12:42 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing Net Shape

Ladies/Gents

Ready to buy a ghost net from Brodin's and I am undecided as to what shape to order. This question pertains to the Firehole and the Trout, two entirely different shapes and I am sure there is a "fit for purpose" reason but I do not know what that is.

Any help with your opinions on the pros and cons of these net shapes would be greatly appreciated. Ohh, I will be buying the short handled version if that makes a difference. I need a net because of all the fishing done from a kayak, it's either wear the fish out more than I care or have him beat the side of the kayak when I reach for him.

Dave
Old 06-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Landing Net Shape

Hi Dave,

I took a look at the firehole net, I have a wee little one in that shape for small stream trout. It seems to be good. I use the net when the fish are expected to be little fellas who are not easy to control by hand. I have a couple others that have the tear drop shaped bow and they always worked fine for scooping up a fish too. I guess it'll come down to what shape appeals to your eye.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dave, I like the Fryingpan/floattube model.
Longer handle, bag is deep and flat.
17" long hoop.
I carry it on my back, and it doesn't stick out past my sides, so it still carries well in the woods.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Just ordered a Brodin Fly Fishing Gallatin Ghost Landing Net....will tell you what I think of it later.When Allan fished with me he had a ghost net I found it great that's why I decided to buy one.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I recently bought the guide model for my boat. Love the net material and the wood frame. Don't have any experience with the smaller nets. But the quality is great. I guess like Ard said go with the one that appeals to your eye!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Davo, is it the EXCALIBER model?
Light, huge, and looong handled.
The Galatin is very sweet too.
Really nice folks to deal with.
They can even put your name on it if ya ask nice.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help gents...I just ordered the Gallatin Ghost, same shape as the firehole but just a wee bit bigger. This is a fathers day gift from my girls

Bigfly, when speaking to them I mentioned that a fellow forum member recommended speaking very nice and they would engrave my name for free!!! She laughed and said she would do that for me but the next shipment from Costa Rica would be 6 weeks. Said that I would prefer to have the net right away and saw no reason to continue being nice to her!!! Glad she had a sense of humor and didn't put me on the banned list...lol

Dave
Old 06-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Davo, is it the EXCALIBER model?
Jim

It is the model Orvis offers. Bought it using my pro program discount!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Happy Father's Day to you, David! Great gift. I've had the same Brodin net for more than 10 years and it's still in great shape. You'll love it for a long time. I just checked out the site - man, that is a lot of styles to chose from! I also noticed that they sell the Ghost bags separately for around $20. I am definitely going to get one to replace the old soft net bag that a mouse found it's way into (while hanging in the garage over teh winter) and managed to hang itself but not before chewing through a few loops.

Do yourself a favor and get a magnet clip with a shock cord. I lost my first one reviving a nice Madison River rainbow that I had to play across a really broad stretch of river. I was so focused on releasing the fish that not until it swam away I noticed that my net had also swam away! Someone had a nice find the next day.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM

I will again suggest a Gear Keeper re-tractor.
When we hook up, and net a fish, I just clip the whole thing to the client.
No worries about a net floating away.
Find a couple of nets that way every season.
The clearreplacement bags do not stretch, so measure well.
I'm sold on clear. Doesn't smell, light weight, and fish don't spook.

David, I never said free. Nor did I say it would happen overnight.
She just included it when I ordered mine.
Wouldn't have known otherwise. Not really a name on it kind of guy.
But this way, when you lose your net, they at least know who they got it from....
If you guys tell'em I sent you.... be nice.

Jim