The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 10:57 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to STARMedic
Default After the strike and set.....

Prolly a stoopid question but lets say your casting, casting, casting.....have the bug where you want it.....haul in a little bit...then BAAAMMMMM.....the fishie strikes and you set the hook.....

My question is this.....You have a good bit of stripped line floating in front of you from your casting.....Do you allow the fish to run the stripped line out to til it tensions up the slack on the reel or do you lock down with the finger of your casting hand and use the other hand to reel in the slack thats in front of you?

Hope I 'splained it properly but its been a long two weeks.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After the strike and set.....

That depends on how far away the fish is, and what direction the fish is headed. I will strip the fish in totally, or if it feel like a good size fish, I will try to get the line on the reel and play it from there.
The 34" I caught this year, I definitly played it on the reel.
But if you have a lot of line out and it is swimming toward you, then I think you have no choice but to start stripping like heck.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My take on it is similar to Joni's. I strip in most all of the fish I catch. If they put themselves on the reel, then I fight them that way, but it doesn't happen as often as I would like. If I hook a fish and there are lots of tangles near my feet, I might try to reel up the line first, or if I needed to chase the fish downstream or something.

It helps to only have as much line out as you are using, within reason. There's no need to stop to reel up line in between fishing each different spot, but not having lots of extra line out usually helps.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:58 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to STARMedic

Thanks for the replies...

Bruce