The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pond Found / Fish Wanted

Here's one of the ponds that's popped up in my search for trout water here in mid-coast Maine. it's in an unlikely spot; located in the middle of a long island with the Atlantic on all 4 sides. It's called Sprague Pond.

The pond is fed by a stream that had its watershed along the Northern side of a ridge that runs almost the entire length of the island. The stream is known, locally, as Stoney Creek. It's a beaver pond; walled off, I would say, years ago and still intact. The Town of Phippsburg has put in some hiking trails that go around one part of it, but the pond seems, by and large, to be forgotten.

It should hold Brookies and Smallmouths; probably also some ubiquitous Pickerel and maybe some panfish, like white and yellow Perch. The first time I saw the pond, I saw some splashy rises, which generally means trout to me. Here are some pics of the pond:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's a lillypad jungle; want something to sharpen up your casting accuracy; here it is:

There are two beaver lodges on the lake; this one is closest to the dam and is active; I "waded" around it today and inadvertently found the lodge entrance, while sinking up to my chest in water that looked like it should be a foot deep! It's active; as judged by the supply of chewed-off saplings around its base. I won't disturb it again:

I fished it for about 3 hours, got alot of takes on dries; elk hair caddis and para Adams, but nothing that was large enough to actually hook on a fly; which doesn't gybe with the large splashy rises that I saw the other day. There was no hatch going on and the predominant insect life was dragonflies and water striders.

I'm going back some night next week, because we're due for a hexagenia/green drake hatch and bugs that big should bring any good sized fish that happens to be in that pond to the surface in a hurry. It's time for a fish!

So, in the interim, I took Ard's advice and took the time to smell the flowers:

On the way out................I'll be back

Pocono
Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pond Found / Fish Wanted

Sure looks fishy Allen and an ideal spot to tube fish. It's hard to imagine all of the precipitation in Maine and so little running water.

Dave
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good find Allan,

Nothing like sniffing the flowers eh, but jeez that looks hard to fish. Those beaver ponds always seem to host some nice fish especially where the creek flows in but the darn things are also full of silt as you reported sinking in. Be careful wading that, my friend Steve got stuck in the muck on Spring Creek a few years back and if I remember in his e-mail he said it not only took a long struggle to get free but at a point he became concerned that he couldn't..........

Take the cell phone on that one,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, There's an absolute ton of fast moving water in Maine; it just happens to be 3-4 hours Northwest of me. Here on the coastal islands, you don't get a lot of freshwater run-off; hence the slow moving streams and little ponds.

Ard, When I'm on new wading ground and it looks questionable, I grab one of my lightweight climbing lines and tie myself off to something solid before I get too far out there. I think Sprague's Pond is wadable, but you're right, the best water looks to be at the head of the pond; where Stoney Creek empties into it; no lilly pads and some reasonable current; probably exactly where most of the trout are located. I'm going to have a look at it.

Pocono
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lovely place Allanbeautiful pics
Looks like a great place for float tubing
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats a beautiful spot! +1 on using a float tube, that place is what theyre made for.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Allan,

That is a nice looking pond. You would think there would be some fish there worth your effort. It does look like it will be hard to wade. Maybe a good place for a Renegade frameless pontoon boat. With its super light weight it wouldn't be a bad carry in.

Frank

Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends in Cundy's Harbor and I once worked in Brunswick, so I know what it's like to travel in your area. Philppsburg isn't exactly down the street.

Popham Beach is only a couple of miles beyond your Sprague Pond and that's one of the best shore fishing spots on that part of the coast for striper. Mackerel should be running now too and I personally have caught of plenty of them from my kayak right off Orrs Island. And Merrymeeting Bay is THE area striper hotspot.
There's an excellent smallmouth fishery on the Andro upstream from L/A. There's landlocks, trout, and smallmouth at Damariscotta Lake and trout fishing on the Sheepscott.
Plus once you get north of Augusta, you're in a fishing paradise.
Baily Island is fairly distant from good fresh water fishing, but once you've traveled that distance, you're surrounded by quality
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Looks like Rip Tide has lined you out for the rest of the year, he is himself a deep pool of information. You know, I always found the fish at the inflow to be easy but the bigger fish seem to hand in the deeper slow waters of the ponds until feeding gets underway. That is when they will move into the current flow and become less cautious. In that flat calm water even a brook trout can sometimes seem uncatchable.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Pocono, I could see fishing that water.
Anything with Lilly pads has got to hold fish right?
Frank's got a plan with the floaty, maybe eveningtime.
Ard, you almost triggered a rant....
HERASY!!! UNCatchable trout!!!
Combination of early morn, lisdexia, and no glasses.
Then I saw "seems". Never mind......

Jim