The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 AM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default PRESENTATIONS

One frequent question that l am often asked is, what do l consider to be the single most important thing for success in catching fish.
There are of course a number of answers that you can give here, which are all in some way related to the answer. But l want for you to give me just (ONE SINGLE ANSWER) and of course add some resoning why you chose that answer.

Fire away guys.

Davy.

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS
Old 03-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would say the single factor that is most important in catching fish is how the hook equipped object is moving when the fish has the opportunity to eat it.

I intentionally made that answer very non-specific because it can be interpreted many ways. There are many different forms of movement that have been found successful at enticing strikes, but often only one or very few of them will work at any given time. The anglers who can best figure out which will work in a given situation are the most successful. It is also true that having a larger bag of tricks in terms of techniques to move the fly/lure gives the angler more options for success.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:30 AM

birddogs will become famous soon enoughbirddogs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PRESENTATIONS

i say it's the exact title of this thread.. the presentation. Just exactly what Bigcliff said, only in one word.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 AM

royalcutt will become famous soon enoughroyalcutt will become famous soon enough

IMO this all depends on the water that is being fished, as a whole I would say 60% presentation, 40% fly choice. I realize this doesn't answer the question, so if there was one single thing I agree that it would have to be presentation.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

It has been said that 90% of the fish are found in 10% of the water and that 80% of the anglers don't know what water holds fish.
Most folks on this forum take this for granted because of your experience in finding that 10% but I would have to say that knowing how to "read the water" in many different situations is one of the most important aspects of "catching fish" and it is what allows a great presentation and fly selection to work it's magic.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
It has been said that 90% of the fish are found in 10% of the water and that 80% of the anglers don't know what water holds fish.
Most folks on this forum take this for granted because of your experience in finding that 10% but I would have to say that knowing how to "read the water" in many different situations is one of the most important aspects of "catching fish" and it is what allows a great presentation and fly selection to work it's magic.
I could not agree with you more. I have seen this many, many times. It becomes more obvious when you are fishing with others in say a reservoir and are only yards apart...
Old 03-07-2005, 02:32 PM

royalcutt will become famous soon enoughroyalcutt will become famous soon enough

Good call, reading the water is crucial. Not knowing where the fish hold on a particular water at a given time can be very frustrating.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:52 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough

Thanks to you guys who have posted a reply to this question.
It is always interesting to me how individuals evaluate the answer by different ways of thought.
The answers that you guys gave are all in some way related to the fact that you already have established in your mind what you need to do in order to catch fish. But before you were able to make that call you had to have had some period of time fishing to form that answer, and that is the basis of the answer that l would give to this question, Experience, for without that you would not be able to give the answers as you did.

Dealing with a specific fish feeding activity, reading water, entomology,
knowledge of flies to use, casting and presentation skills and so on are all related to experience and the learning of skills.

The other single factor l would assess is simply this,, knowing the habits of the creature you pursue, regardless be it fish or game. The man who posesses that indifinable skill of afinity to ward that intent will no doubt reap the rewards more so than another.

The great fun of that is of course aspiring as we do to become proficient at what we do, part of our human nature.

Davy

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS