The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM

skeeter0428 is on a distinguished road
Default cortland rimfly

just wondering if anyone has any info on cortland rimfly reels? history, durability, function. i was given one today from my grandpa. he used it a good bit, but hasnt been able to fish the last few years. it is now a reel i will always keep but just wanted to get some facts about it. thanks hope yall can help
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: cortland rimfly

Hi Skeet,

I never had a Rimfly but am familiar with their design (I think) They are similar in design to the old CFO and Marquis reels in that they were among the early rim control drag reels. Your reel is probably a clicker with no adjustment for drag as that is to be applied by you with a palm pressing the exposed rim on the spool. For fishing these will handle anything you hook because you control the drag tension on demand. I have landed some pretty good size salmon using an old Battenkill 3/4 with clicker and an exposed rim. It's a good reel for fishing. I do have a Cortland LTD Graphite #60 that I use every year but not one like yours.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM

bow addict has a spectacular aura aboutbow addict has a spectacular aura about

That was my first fly reel that I bought when I was sixteen. It's not a bad reel. Ard is right, it does not have a drag system, you use your palm to apply pressure to the rim of the reel to slow a fish down. I believe that brand new they were around $30-$40. I used mine for a lot of years, until I got a Ross, and handed the rimfly off to my brother. I can't say I ever played any really big fish on it, but it did the job that a fly reel is supposed to do. It effectively stored line for me.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM

well cool thanks for the info, i might use it as a small river set up for some little trout. cant ever have enough fishing stuff!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The reel will handle what ever you hook but if you have more advanced reels such as disc models they would be a better choice for repeated contact with large fish. As I stated in post #1 you can land salmon with a Rimfly or similar but I don't do this purposely it just happens sometimes. Once while fishing a small creek for rainbow trout I had a pacific silver salmon take hold of my streamer. Problem there............I was fishing with a 6'6" 3 weight bamboo flea rod and a Hardy Featherweight reel. I managed to jerk the fly away before we had a good solid contact. But with my 6' 3" graphite 5 weight and a Marquis #5 reel I would have said "bring it on". The marquis #5 is very much like your Rimfly.

What other reels do you have / use?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM

well i am new to the sport and right now i fish with a pflueger summit 7-8wt reel on some of the lakes and rivers around here in SC. i am looking into so inlet and creek saltwater fly fishing too. i am looking for a 5'-6" rod or similar for the fresh rivers in the upstate because its very tight through those areas. i would use this rimfly on the small rod. so far i really enjoy it.