The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default what knots do you all use?

when tying leader to tippet and tippet to fly
i been using a double uni knot to tie leader to tippet but always seems to give me fits
and been using a improved Clinch to tie tippet to fly
is there any others that are a little more simple or better to use for these?
i know they have tons of diffrent knots to use but thought i would ask you all what you use

when i was bass fishing all the time i always used a Palomar knot to tie line to lure..do any of you all use this for tippet to fly
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what knots do you all use?

For Trout Setups
Leader to Tippet - Blood Knot
Tippet to Fly - Improved Clinch (most flies), Kreh's Loop Knot (larger streamers)

Dennis
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the loop to loop attaching my leader to my line I use a perfection loop. link here
For building the leader I attach the sections with blood knots. link here
I almost always tie the fly on with a Trilene knot. link here
I trust all of these knots.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

The Blood knot is best, but for the tippet knot you can also use a double (or triple) surgeon. I like it, it is quick and easy and strong.

Like many, I have used the improved clinch for many years. But I moving away from it as it is rated around 60%, which is really bad. I think I stick with it because I've used it for as long as I can remember.

New knots that I like and am practicing (so that when I finally get to fish again they will come naturally) are the Orivs and Trilene knots, both are rated about 90% strength and are no more difficult to tie than the improved clinch. As a matter of fact, the Trilene is so similar that it is quite easy to make the change, basically it just passes through the eye twice with another small modification. The Palomar also passes through the hook eye twice, which can be a pain - but on larger flies it's really not hard, and once you have that the rest of the knot it very simple.

There is a nice table of knots with simple illustrations that I like, but it's on a different forum site. Not sure of the etiquette for linking to other fishing forums so I'll (k)not do it.

Obviously, all you have to do it search the knot names and you'll find plenty of resources and how to tie tutorials.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
For the loop to loop attaching my leader to my line I use a perfection loop. link here
For building the leader I attach the sections with blood knots. link here
I almost always tie the fly on with a Trilene knot. link here
I trust all of these knots.
Great links, Dan! I was typing while you posted that. I do like the Trilene a lot also.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:55 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I'm a very simple man.

Leader to fly line: loop to loop (shorb loop on furled leader to loop manufactured on fly line.)

3x Tippet to furled leader: loop to loop (Shorb loop on furled leader to perfection loop on 3x.

3x tippet to 4-6x tippet: surgeons knot

Fly to tippet: standard clinch knot.

Like I said, I'm a simple man.

Chris
Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Perfection loop on leader butts.

Double surgeons on mono-mono tippet connections, triple on mono to fluorocarbon.

Non-slip mono loop/Kreh knot if the tippet is 4x or stronger.

Improved clinch on 5x or 6x.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 PM

let m go will become famous soon enoughlet m go will become famous soon enough

orvis knot for the fly
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

loop to loop or seaguar knot
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Handshake(loop to loop), improved figure 8 for leader, tippet, and fly(aka Orvis knot). Non-slip mono for fly loop knot. milt
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

loop to loop on my furled to tippet connections with a perfection loop on the tippet end and a tippet ring on the leader.

casey

ARFE