The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road
Default Z-Axis Fly Line Recommendation

Picked up a 9' 5wt z-axis recently for a good deal and lm looking for recommendations on a new fly line for it. Im going to be fishing it with an Orvis Access II reel. I was thinking about Rio Grand 5wt since it is a half size larger for fast action rods. What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Z-Axis Fly Line Recommendation

I use GPX on my 4 wt. as well as Rio Gold. The GPX is a little heavier, like the Grand. I accidentally put the Gold spool on the other day instead of the GPX and had a pleasurable casting experience for the day with both dries as well as nymph rigs. If you like fast action rods, you really don't need to slow it down with the heavier line. YMMV.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Line selection is probably even more a matter of personal preference than rod selection, and unfortunately the only way to find out what you like is by trying out different tapers.

Then, too, fishing conditions may change what you like - ie. high headwinds vs. total calm.

In general, if you like to aerialize a lot of line, you would probably prefer long tapers to short ones, and vice versa. If you are after delicate presentations you would probably prefer a longer more gentle taper to a short fat one.

Some of the tapers I have cast on other peoples rods feel like there is a brick attached to the end of the line to me, and I would throw them in the garbage after one cast if they were on my rods.

But other people buy them, so I assume they must like them. I used to fish double tapers, not wt forwards, for trout on all but lakes and ponds except when fishing for Atlantic salmon. That is practically unheard of any more I think.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to write a long response, but Jim covered it all.

If it means anything, I use a SA Sharkskin GPX on my 590-4 Z-Axis. Since I fish large dry flies, weighted nymph rigs, and weighted streamers, this type of line works beautifully.

I have a 3 and 4 weight for lighter presentations.

Dennis
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I also use the SA Sharkskin GPX line on my 9'0" 5 wt. and am very satisfied with its performance.

Pocono
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys.. Anyone tried the new Textured Series GPX?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 PM

sureshot81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreedi1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys.. Anyone tried the new Textured Series GPX?
Yep. I use the Mastery Series Textured GPX line. For me it shoots better than smooth line, but is less abrasive than the Sharkskin. It's a nice middleground line. I've had Sharkskin on rods before, but have never tried the Sharkskin GPX, so I can't comment on that.