The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Sage or Scott Fly Rod

Good Day to All,

I am currently researching two different fly rods that I
might purchase in the very near future. Both are 9- 4wt rods.
One is the Sage FLi & the other is the Scott A2. Both are
priced about the same. I have two other Scott rods & have
never used a Sage. I am looking for some comments from
you all on your choice if it were you buying one or the other?

Secondly, would you purchase a 2 piece or a 4 piece rod ?
Please give a reason(s) for why a 2 or 4 piece.

Thank you,
Tie One On
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage or Scott Fly Rod

Sage and Scott are both great companies that make great rods. I haven't cast either of those two rods, but in general Sage rods are easier to cast for most people, and Scott rods are tougher. The exception to that rule about Sage rods being easier to cast is that some people are just better suited to rods that flex the way Scott's do. If you're already fishing two Scotts, there's a very good chance you are, or have become one of those people.

Both companies turn warranty repairs around pretty promptly, but can get backed up in the spring and summer when lots of rods are being broken.

I would definitely go with the 4 piece rod for practicality reasons. You can fit it in lots more spaces in a vehicle, carry it on a plane, and your less likely to whack somebody with it than you would be with a 2 piece rod.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:22 PM

Woolly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on
Good Day to All,I am currently researching two different fly rods that Imight purchase in the very near future. Both are 9- 4wt rods.One is the Sage FLi & the other is the Scott A2. Both arepriced about the same. I have two other Scott rods & havenever used a Sage. I am looking for some comments fromyou all on your choice if it were you buying one or the other?Secondly, would you purchase a 2 piece or a 4 piece rod ?Please give a reason(s) for why a 2 or 4 piece.Thank you,Tie One On
As Cliff said above, they are both great rods. I have two Sage XP rods preferring the fast action. and fish with a couple of guys that are devout "Scott Heads". We've swapped rods on fishing trips several times and I honestly can't tell the difference. If you are used to the Scott rod action and it works for you, buy it; it ain't broke so don't fix it.

2PC vs. 4PC: If you fly with your gear, the 4pc fits in your checked bags and 2pc won't. You only get two free bags, so a rod tube for your 2pc beyond those two bags counts as extra baggage and costs about $80 each way.
Also, I've seen it happen two times to buddies that thought they would carry on a 2pc in an aluminum rod tube. The TSA folks (in Phoenix) at the security checkpoint told them the rod tube could be considered a weapon. They were not allowed to carry it on, had to go back to the ticket counter and check it as luggage and were charged for an extra bag. Coming back from Kalispell, Montana they were allowed to carry them on with no problem. Go figure............
Old 10-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Moral of the story, they know what a fly rod is in Montana and don't in the AZ desert. (just kidding Mike)

Whether or not a not an aluminum tube is accepted without inspection is not consistent nationwide, but you're always better off to have it in hand and open it up for the TSA folks than to check a 2 pc rod. I flew with a borrowed 4pc Spey rod from Dallas to Portland via Houston (Continental) about 4 mo after 9/11 and was allowed to carry the aluminum tube on with no request to open it up, but that doesn't mean that I expect that to be the case in the future.

If you're thinking that you could get around the carry on issue by shipping your rod to the destination in advance, I can tell you from vast experience in both the fly tackle and small package shipping industry that a 4pc rod is MUCH MUCH less likely to get damaged than a 2 pc rod is. 30" boxes move through conveyor systems much better than 55" boxes do.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Kinda partial to the Sage rods myself, even though I haven't been at it very long. The first one I got was a 9' 5 wt Launch to get started and it's a pretty decent backup now. About 2 months ago, I went overboard and bought an 8'6" SLT in 5 wt, coupled with a Lamson V2 reel. Now that's an awesome set up! (In my humble opinion, of course). I'm still looking for a little more time away from work, but love it so far. It's cool when it seems like all you have to do is "think" about where you want the fly to go, and it does. I may be in the market for a 3 wt soon - you can't have too many rods, can you? LOL. Of course, there's probably an 8 or 10 wt for salt water at the family beach house on Galveston Bay.....

Phil
Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

My personal preference would be the Fli as it is one heck of a sweet stick. But the Scott is nice also. Always buy what is best for YOU and not what someone else likes.

Both though will treat you very well...
Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

go to the dealers and try them both.. i think its important.. the problem is youll also be asked to try the 600 dollar rods, and youl probably like them more.. go back to the other rods tho after youve tried the better rods, just in case your fly casting instructions the dealer gave you is the reason the more expensive rod works best.. dave...