The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

rockworthy is on a distinguished road
Default Where's a good place for fishing gear reviews?

Hello guys and gals! I'm getting back into fishing and I want to know some websites that review fishing gear. In particular, I'm looking for a good quality, smallish spinning reel, but I don't want to spend a fortune. So I'm looking for honest reviews. Not just a big-money fishing gear site, I want honest, in-depth and objective reviews of stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where's a good place for fishing gear reviews?

I don't know about any sites for spin gear...but this site had a great review section. You should check it out. I use it whenever I'm thinknig about getting new gear.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rockworthy welcome to the forum.

As you've probably seen by now, this forum i mostly oriented towards fly fishing, so you'll see a lot of excellent, objective reviews from folks that actually use fly fishing rod, reels, lines and other gear.

If you're looking for objective opinions on spinning reels, you might want to check out sites like Texas Fishing Forum - discussion, tournaments, guides, events, destinations, and more. or StripersOnline . Use the search feature before posting on those sites since your questions may already be answered-- questions like "what's the best ....." tend to come up a lot.

You also might want to post on either of those sites to get opinions-- but try and be more specific about what you'll be using the reel for (line weights, type of fish you'll be chasing), the rod you'll be matching it up to (if not the exact model then at least the length, lure weight and recommended lure weight and line ranges), and a rough idea of your budget--

Personally, although I have a lot of old Penn reels from the 60's and 70's that I still use from time, if I was in the market for new spinning reels, I would take a hard look at reels in the Shimano line up- they seem to be the best bang for the buck at different price points although there;s a lot of other good stuff out there as well. And also realize inexpensive means different things to different people. In the case of Shimano an inexpensive reel suitable for freshwater might be something like a $50-70 like a Shimano Sedona or Shimano Sahara, while a relatively inexpensive reel subjected to hard saltwater and heavier line capacities might be more realistically in the $120-150 range like a Shimano Stradic.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM

bloodmeridian is on a distinguished road

I think your best bet is to Google: "manufacturer's name" + product name (and specs if its a certain rod or reel) + "review". You'll be good to go!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Used to bass fish all the time so spinning gear was used a lot.
if your looking for something in a normal size say for 8-12 lb line or so for the money you cant beat a Pfluger President....they run about $60 or so and are a very high quality reel good bearings and a super smooth reel...buy one and you can thank me later.
i have 2 one on a small rod that i spin fish for trout and pan fish and a little larger one that i got for my wife. both great reels
Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

rockworthy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
Used to bass fish all the time so spinning gear was used a lot.
if your looking for something in a normal size say for 8-12 lb line or so for the money you cant beat a Pfluger President....they run about $60 or so and are a very high quality reel good bearings and a super smooth reel...buy one and you can thank me later.
i have 2 one on a small rod that i spin fish for trout and pan fish and a little larger one that i got for my wife. both great reels
Yay thanks man! I'll check out that little bugger, sounds cool. I like the idea of a super smooth feel and $60 is what I was thinking.