The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default First fish on a fly!

I got bit by the fly fishing bug a little over 2 years ago, and fortunately with my job (consulting, so lots of travel), I've been about to fish a number of places around the country.

My 14 year old nephew, when he was visiting last year, said he wanted me to teach him how to fly fish. So this year, my dad reserved a cabin in Broken Bow Oklahoma for a few days to take my boys and my sister's boys for some camping, hiking and yes, even some fly fishing.

So Thursday evening, after dinner, we loaded up and headed to the river. I picked a spot where I thought we might have the best chance, even though the local fly shop said the fishing was pretty slow. After some pointers on casting, I rigged up a #14 soft hackle on my 5wt, and we started working the river. Within an hour, he had his first fish!! A small rainbow trout! It wasn't a size worth mounting or bragging about, but it was so much fun seeing him get his first fish. And the bonus was it was a fly I had tied!! I think I got more excited about it than he did.

We fished for a little while longer, but it was dark so we needed to head back to the cabin. But it was "Mission Accomplished", and hopefully, a new convert to this great sport.

Oh, and wouldn't you know it, I left my phone in my Jeep, so no picture. Bummer.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First fish on a fly!

Congrats, you have to feel very proud of what you accomplished in one outing! I hope you have that young man hooked for life on the sport of fly fishing! There is nothing better than getting the chance to teach a youngster how to fly fish and to land a fish on the first outing has to be the greatest!

Larry

Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent job. Getting a kid into fish is better than catching them yourself-- and it's even sweeter if it's on a fly you tied.

Congrats!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM

gila steve is on a distinguished road

Thats cool...Been trying to get my boy intersted in fly fishing. They love to fish but so far fly fishing just dosent intrest them.
Steve
Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I retired the first fly I tied after it caught a fish. Actually it caught several. Definitely was exciting to get fish on something you tie yourself. I fish LMF river below Broken Bow occasionally, it's too far to fish regularly for me. Glad it was an exciting time.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

outstanding!
thats the way it should be!

casey

ARFE
Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Great story! Tell him we all said congratulations! I also retired the first fly I caught a fish with that I tied. Pretty cool stuff!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)