The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2006, 03:43 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road
Default Ive decided on my first setup...I think

After spending the past two weeks driving around the state visiting almost every fly shop and speaking with the various people regarding the products I believe I have made my decision.

I stopped by the local Orvis dealer and spoke with "the fly guy." Lou has been fly fishing for about 50 years and was kind enough to spend an hour and a half talking about the basics, history and theory behind rods, reels and fly fishing in general. Knowing that I wanted a 9' 5 wt 4piece I focused on brands. I looked at everything from stuff I wouldnt buy, because of poor quality, to the Sage XP, which would have to be burried with me once my wife found out how much I spent. I was going to go with the March Brown but the guarantee and service of Orvis sold me. I like the fact that wherever I am in the US or Canada or beyond, if I have an issue with gear I can walk into the dealer and will be helped without question.

Im going with the Clearwater rod and the Battenkill Midarbor III. The setup comes with backing, line, 2 leaders, 4 of the classic flies and the case for $309.00. How does this sound? Feedback before the purchase will be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Ive decided on my first setup...I think

Well... the gear is certainly good stuff. However, what stands out more to me is "the fly guy"... Sounds like you've got a good sourse of information and quality service. That's what you want from the folks you spend your money with. Someone who'll take the time to talk to you and help you with all of your fly fishing decisions. Sounds like you've made a good choice.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. Lou was really awsome. I say this with all respect to him. He was a little old man about 5'4", small build with knarled hands that didnt even look like they could hold a rod anymore. He looked like a new englander out of a Norman Rockwell painting with tan kakis, a flannel shirt and an orvis ball cap. He even started rattling off the best places on all my local rivers and streams...along with the days water levels. More impressive was that he was correct on them all, I did a search on the net later.

He also gave me his schedule and told me to come in anytime and he will take me to the casting pond they have on the side of the store and give me the basics.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Pierce, did you get the Mid-Flex 7.5? I had that rod and absolutly love it. The help you got was what I practised at the store here when it was here. To me, that is the nature of the beast.
We were trained to try to up sale whenever possible, but I could tell who to up sale and who to be straight forward with and not break them.
Right on and good job!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Sounds like you did the best thing by looking and waiting to find what fit YOU best. If this is the rod that does that, by all means, buy it. Orvis makes fantastic gear and you will never be disappointed with the way they treat their customers.

Now, get out and shoot a report of how the rod felt with a nice fish on it.