The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 AM

fishseeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fishseeker Send a message via Skype™ to fishseeker
Default New Member + Short Story!

Hi All,

I'm new here - to fishing (and inparticular Fly Fishing), the US and the forums!

Thought I'd introduce myself and share a little story.

I arrived in the US (WI) in November (from the UK), and shortly thereafter proposed, got married and got residence with my long term, and long distance partner. For various reasons I was unable to obtain a fishing license in WI until I had a social security number and driving license, so I was late starting this year.

In all honesty, I haven't fished since I was 15 (which is about 15 years ago), and both my wife and I decided it would be nice to try it, and even if we didn't catch anything, we got to spend the time outside together in peace. We bought a couple of basic spin setup rods and went out to our local(ish) lake which was restocked back in 2009. We have been catching some largemouth bass, pan fish and a few perch - nothing to write home about!

Saturday morning just gone, we went early to see if we could get something a little bigger. I've never caught anything of a decent size in my life, and it's still one of my goals. Anyway, we spotted a guy fly fishing by a small weir, which had about a 4 foot deep pool a short while after it. It's not a wide area and I was surprised he was fly fishing there. I went over and got chatting with him and he pulled out quite a few nice size brown trout. He tied a fly with a tippet to the end of my spinning rod, put on an indicator and I had a go. I caught mostly suckerfish and a couple of baby trout, but it really wet my appetite.

I persuaded the wife to visit a local store, and we left with a fly fishing setup for beginners. I didn't want to spend much in case I didn't like it or stick with it. I figure next year I'll invest in more and better equipment.

I have practised a bit, and last night we decided to go back to the spot where the guy was fishing Saturday. I was determined to pull something out of a reasonable size! The first thing I caught was the biggest thing I've ever caught, but unfortunately not a trout:

Click the image to open in full size.

I then got a hit after only a couple more casts, and pulled out my first trout on a fly line! I have to tell you I was so ridiculously excited, and the size is certainly comparable to the sucker, so I was happy. Trout are such beautiful fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am looking forward to trying out new places soon, and hopefully going somewhere the fish are even bigger. I'm sure it doesn't measure in size to anything a lot of you have caught, but for me it was a very rewarding evening!

Thanks for reading

Paul
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member + Short Story!

Good story. Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 PM

gila steve is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Paul but be careful because fly fishing is an addiction lol.
But an enjoyable one!!
Steve
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Paul
Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing and congrats on your first fish with a fly rod! Don't worry about size, you need to learn the different techniques of fly fishing, the size of fish will come in time! Besides, any fish caught on a fly is just a wonderful experience as you have already learned. Don't hesitate to ask questions, we have a lot of wonderful folks on this forum that will try to answer your questions. You might also like to browse through the video library, there are some great videos for beginners in there that you will find interesting.

Larry

Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Larry, I will be sure to check out those videos, and you are right - catching a fish on the fly rod was a very different experience, but completely exhilarating at the same time. Consider me addicted!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great story and pics! welcome to the forum

casey

ARFE
Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Paul...congrats for your first outing
Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks again guys.

I actually have an Orvis store down the road from me at work, and they are offering free beginners classes over 2 weekends. I signed up to go and get a basic overview of the different techniques, knots and stream etiquette etc...

Hopefully I'll be posting of some successful adventures in the future!

Paul
Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishseeker View Post
etiquette
that's a french word Paul (:
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Ok, so the French have contributed something to the world, but it's only one word!