The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Fly pattern question

I've been blessed with finding a decent amount of smallies and carp in a small stream near my home. Smallie flies or carp flies aren't what I question here. I have seen quite a few freshwater drum (sheephead as the locals call them here). They chase my clousers only to turn away at the last possible second. So...the question... Is there a fly pattern known to catch the bruts?
Thanks...Mike
Old 06-30-2011, 06:23 AM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly pattern question

In the past, I've caught drum on small silver/gray clouser minnows. You may also want to try some crayfish imitations. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

okuma

I've only ever fished for Reds and pretty much any baitfish imitation works for them. Might try some EP minnow flies.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I would imagine a gray over white clouser would do the job. I frequently catch them on minnows when I am crappie fishing.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Strip as fast as you possibly can when you have one chasing. Give it the ole armpit tuck and double hand strip.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The only ones I have ever caught were on clousers when I was fishing for Walleye and Crappie. Maybe try changing the size and/or color of the clouser you are using. If you can see the fish, maybe try a baitfish pattern that has very little weight to it so you can strip and then semi suspend it. Maybe they will hit it if you have a different retreive.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Also, I just remebered this little bit. They tend to hit the smaller minnows and leave the larger ones, I would go small, and Like WT said, Strip fast.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Small clousers and super stripping it is. Thanks all!