The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Single or Tandem ???

Good day to All,

Just a simple question to all of the trout fishing enthusiasts.

When you are tying up your outfit & heading off to the river,
do you have one fly on your tippet, or do you two ?

Which method do you like as well ?

I am a big fan of multiple flies on my setup. Usually it would
be a nice dry fly (14-16) & a smaller nymph type like a 18-20
in a simple tandem setup. (the smaller fly is tied off the bend
of the first fly)

How do you like to setup your outfit ?

Always in the Water,

Tie One On
Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Single or Tandem ???

When fishing has been a little slow I have tied as many as 4 flies using an oval cast and fishing the water collum from top to bottom...I've called it my trotline. I have found it to be affective but kind of wild to cast..takes a little time to tie up...It also can get fouled easily when bringing in fish on the upper flies..
Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

When Trouting, I probably fish a tandem set-up at least half the time. Sometimes it will be a dry and a nymph, sometimes a dry and emerger, two wets, or a weighted nymph and a wet/emerger. I think I fish the latter the most, especially when fishing my preferred shallower swift streams with pocket water and some deeper pools, and yes I usually fish it under an adjustable indicator.

I almost always tie the rig up like I was adding tippet to my leader and leave the tag long to tie the dropper fly too. I find this easiest to rig up, and if i leave the tag a little long and tie my knots well, I can change out the dropper fly without having to retie the whole rig.

If you like the idea of this rig being simple to tie up, but fear or have had problem with tangles in the past, here are some fixes that can help avoid this.

1. Never use a weighted dropper. This creates a "tetherball" situation where the weighted fly wants to wrap around the standing line.

2. Open your casting loop. This can be done by making a wider arc in your casting stroke, slowing down your pace over all, and by making an elliptical back cast (slightly sidearm back cast, vertical plane forward cast). This reduces the chances of the flies striking each other or becoming entangled by other methods.

3. False cast as little as possible. Do this by positioning yourself so you're not having to feed out and then strip in lots of line each time you cast, and by using roll casts to get your fly back into the water more quickly. Doing this will greatly reduce tangles, and will give you better odds at catching fish, as they tend to be in the water, not flying about overhead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We are only allowed 2 flies max, so, yes I rig up with the tandem(dry/dropper) if I am fishing two sinking flies (worm and egg or two scuds/sowbugs or haresear/pheasant tail) I will then tie off the eye of the first hook so they can both float independently.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 AM

EHC is on a distinguished road

big fan of the tandem rig. usually start out with a dry 'n dropper (small nymph tied off the hook of the dry). if the nymph gets hit more, will switch over to a double nymph rig w/ strike indicator.i totally agree with BigCliff - false cast as little possible. the tandem set-up is a pain to untangle!has anyone had success using a streamer tandem set-up - streamer with a nymph?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hmmm, streamer and nymph? I guess about the closest I normally fish to that would be a bead head bugger on the point and a soft hackle dropper, and bounce that through riffles. Sometimes I'll swing it as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.