The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 PM

raiderdingo is on a distinguished road
Default traveling with gear

I will be traveling across country soon and would like to bring my gear. I'm traveling with only my 60liter pack and rod case. I'd REALLY like to not have to check my pack. Does anyone know if traveling with flies in my carry on will cause problems?

thanks
ryan
Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: traveling with gear

not sure about your situation. but ive flown from illinois to alaska several times with full boxes in my luggage as well as numerous flies stuck in my cap.
never had a problem.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I got off the TSA website.

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

I would print out the webpage that I listed with the hyperlink. Have that on you when you go to the airport. Keep in mind that it takes one uptight TSA agent to interpret the rules to his liking to keep you from taking your gear as carry on.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-12-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: changed some wording.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I have a Sage wader bag that I check, and it has my waders, clothes, pack and fly boxes. I just carry on my rods. That's always worked well for me.

But I have carried on fly tying materials, including scissors(!) and hooks, and never had a problem. Well, the only problem was the vice, but after the first couple of times I just pull it out and run the vice and base through X-ray separately with no problem.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM

adkjoe is on a distinguished road

The world we now live in is embarrassing... Pull the plane over Or I'll hook you like a fish!!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I agree totally with Dennis: no matter what the "rules" say, no matter what you have in hand to prove your point, it will all come down to what kind of day or nite before the TSA agent that is in control of your life at that moment had. i mean, if they are willing and able to make a wheelchair bound 95 year old woman show them her diaper...well, you get my drift.
Gary
Old 07-02-2011, 10:03 AM

raiderdingo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. I think I'm just going to end up checking my bag with flies and carry on my rod and reel.

ryan
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider shipping some of it, if you have time it may be less hassle and expense than checking extra bags. As far as I know, JetBlue and Southwest are the only airlines not charging for baggage. Just a thought... milt.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

You mileage may vary, the comments above regarding one TSA agent on an authority bent is quite appropriate, but for the past 3-4 years I have carried an Orvis "Safe Passage" fly rod case as carry on baggage about 8 or 10 times a year. I have flown United, Frontier, US Airways, and Continental with the bag. I usually have 6-9 fly rods and as many or more reels & spare spools in the bag. Also in the bag will be 6 or so C&F fly boxes and 3 plastic boxes (craft bead boxes) full of literally thousands of flies, fresh and saltwater, ranging from size 2/0 to size 24 or smaller.

The only thing any TSA agent has ever said: "Wow. That's some nice fly fishing equipment." "Where are you going?" or "How did you do?" (standard in Denver). Those being pretty much the universal response everytime I have gone through security.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

ship'em. Thousand Standing Around agents are ultimate govercrats and can never be trusted to even know the rules much less abide by them.