The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Keeping fish

For those of you who fly fish for fish that are abundant enough to keep to eat, I have a couple tips for freezing them which makes a world of difference in the taste and texture down the road.

First off, if they are to be kept, I throw them in the fish box which is filled with both frozen water bottles and cube ice. As soon as the first fish goes in, I add enough seawater that the entire fish can be submerged. This makes the slush colder and in turn, the flesh firmer and much easier to skin and fillet. It also makes a HUGE diffference in taste later. It is the first essential step to fish that don't taste "fishy".

When filleting, I keep the fillets away from the blood and guts, washing down the filleting board frequently. The fillets then go into fresh ice with fresh seawater until I get home.

There, I trim what bloodline I missed while being chewed by mosquitos, and bag as I go. After trimming the bloodline, I do a quick rinse in fresh brine then split the thick fillets thickness wise so there aren't a bunch of thick ones and thin ones in the same bag. Then they will all cook at about the same rate. Then I pat dry and put meal sized portions into the freezer bags with the zippers that say "Freezer bags" on the box.

Now here are two tricks. I then add a splash of half and half to the bag, and gently squish all the fillets around so all the meat surfaces have just a little coating of half and half fat on them.

Then, I pull the zipper just a little bit closed, and immerse the bag very slowly in a sink full of cold water, making sure none gets inside the bag. The pressue gets nearly all the air out of the bag. Then I seal it all the way with the zipper. And into the freezer it goes at once.

IMO this method is better than freezing fillets in brine, in water or any other way I have tried. The fat in the half and half, I think, is what seals in the taste and keeps aill air away from the flesh, without leeching out any flavor like freezing them in water seems to do.

When they are thawed out, I give them a quick rinse and pat them dry immediately before preparing them however I am going to do it.

It amazes me how many fishermen go fishing for fish they intend to keep and neglect to bring enough ice to keep what they catch properly chilled. It is disrespectfull not only to the fish, but to their own taste buds too!! This is so common that when someone asks me to go fishing, I bring extra ice with me, and see to the handling of the fish.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM

adkjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Keeping fish

Thanks that's very good info!!

For me however this isn't always possible. A lot of the places I fish I hike a ways to get to. Carrying a bucket or bags of ice just would not work.

I don't usually keep fish to freeze though, If I intend on keeping some panfish or bass (trout when my friends come up and visit) I eat it the day I catch it. I usually just toss the fish in a large gallon bag after catching, hike out, then when I get home fillet and cook them.

I very rarely keep trout but I like to have a couple in the freezer for when friends and family come to visit I will definitely give your method a try when stocking the freezer soon. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I almost put this in the saltwater section, but I don't think that many guys here fish the salt enough to frequent that forum, and many that do, don't fish for edible species.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can go Bear Grylls on it... in one episode (Man vs. Wild), he noodles a trout from a stream and does'nt even bother to kill it, just chomps it live, scales and all! milt.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

A seal a meal vacuum packer is the best way i have found to store fish. I always bleed the fish before they go in the cooler, A bit messy at times but helps alot. I only freeze certian types of fish, oily fish such as blues just dont freeze well so i only keep enough for 1 meal. My fishing season starts in march and end late december so i dont freeze that many, but is is a nice treat to have a fish dinner in the dead of winter after shoveling snow. I always add sea water to the cooler too, works wonders alot colder than plain ice.