The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Setting the Hook???

I seem to fail to get the hook set on most of the fish that take my flies. What if any is the secret to setting the hook?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Setting the Hook???

Set faster.

Back when I guided, I always stood just upstream of the client. When a fish took either a dry or a nymph, I'd yell "set" and then bang my arm up under their rod between the cork and first ferrell to set the hook.

Eventually they got it.

Chris
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
I seem to fail to get the hook set on most of the fish that take my flies. What if any is the secret to setting the hook?
Timing, sharp hooks and the correct lift.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 PM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road

Agree.. gotta get the timing down.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question; Are you setting the hook the instant you think the fish has it? If you are you may be hitting to fast and taking the fly away from the fish. Don't get overly fast. I most of the time sweep the rod and strip at the same time. But not till the fish actually has the fly. There is actually such a thing as to fast. I still get a little bit of the 'Buck Fever' and yank it away from a fish once in a while. Timing. I don't fish surface stuff a lot so I don't generally see the fish hit so it's not much of a problem. Every now and then I do. The bigger the fish the more likely the buck fever overreaction. When you can't see the fish hit, most of the time they'll set it on themselves.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll catch the devil for this but..............................

With dry flies in swift water I lift the rod and tighten the line, in deep slow pools must fish hook themselves when they turn and head back from the surface. In the second case a slower lift is all you need. Many beginning fly fishers miss fish because they have a sort of 'Bass Master's' reaction when they have a take on the fly. This usually results in tearing the fly away from the fish or breaking them off.

I fish wets & streamers more than dries and almost all fish hook themselves when they grab the fly.

The real secret is, there is no secret. You keep fishing and with enough experience you will find what works to hook them. Everyone has missed fish on the dry fly and we will miss some in the future, that's just the way it is.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ive had great results with this-

Click the image to open in full size.

from orvis

casey

ARFE
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 AM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

In seven years of guiding I never saw a novice set too early or too hard. Never.

Now, those that have had some experience, maybe.

Chris
Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Always "set" downstream and if fishing a wet or streamer down and across I've found a fairly gentil sweep with a little lift towards the bank works. The fact of the matter is every fish that "hits" isn't going to get pinned, thats why its called fishing not catching.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

I agree...Sharp hooks! I sharpen my hooks constantly. If they don't grab my thumbnail...I sharpen.
I really don't know if it helps but I feel I miss less. I also crush the barbs.