The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Different Patterns, same fly ??

Good Day to All, Just wondering if you have a fly box you carry out withyou that may have the "same fly", but tied differently ?Slight variations, or really unique ones of the same fly. Lately, I have been creating my "Caddis" box. I must havecome across a dozen or more variations of this versatile flyin the time I've been tying my own flies. I know I learned 6-8different styles in the tying classes I've taken, as well asdeveloping my own. What about you, do you have a "go-to" fly that you havevariations of that work best at various times on the water ?Tie One On
Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Different Patterns, same fly ??

I guess it could be chalked up to either rampant creativity or ADD, but I rarely have more then two or three of exactly the same fly. I am always changing them up slightly to see if they variations will work better. I'll change dubbing color, flash color or amount, add rubber legs, etc, etc.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM

EHC is on a distinguished road

one side of a fly box contains variations of Caddis...which along with a BHPT, zug or prince represents my 'go to' rig. this past summer i spent as much time as i could stalking wild trout in the streams of western NC. those little brookies loved the big bushy caddis.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I did a fly swap one year and I appologize that I can not remember who tied it, but a great Caddis. It has a Muddler Bullit head and he ties in wing material (that meshy stuff) under the hair wing plus add a tuft of CDC. Turned into my favorite Caddis...that sucker floats!I also add rubber legs to several of the basic flies for something different.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I carry lots of slightly different types of caddis, stimulators, and adams. These three are my most productive flies, and I have a wide variety of sizes, colors, and variations.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Kai, small green stimulators (sizes 16 and 18) are actually my favorite dry caddis pattern, I just wish they weren't such an ordeal to tie. I love how they ride and how well they work for skittering and moving by what Gary LaFontaine called "good, bad mends".

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Don is on a distinguished road

EHC posted"one side of a fly box contains variations of Caddis...which along with a BHPT, zug or prince represents my 'go to' rig. this past summer i spent as much time as i could stalking wild trout in the streams of western NC. those little brookies loved the big bushy caddis."I agree, I tend to go to a nice fat Elk Hair Caddis, especially in the GSMNP, for prospecting if nothing is coming off the surface. Its easy for the fish to see and easy for my old eyes to see. I've even had success with it, trimmed down on the spot and colored with a Pantone pen, during a "Little Yellow Sally" hatch on the Elkmont section of the Little River one evening.
"I was starving; I had two types of dysentery, and beriberi. Then I remember what happened to Job when he asked, 'why me?' He got slam-dunked. 'Why me?' is an irregular question. Don't ask it."--Col. Nick Rowe on his captivity in N. Viet Nam