The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Best sunglasses lens color for streams... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/157835-best-sunglasses-lens-color-streams.html)

maccadon3000 07-05-2011 11:28 PM

Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
So recently I've noticed that I am having more trouble seeing in overcast conditions using my everyday/fly fishing sunglasses. They are an old pair of polar chromic copper lensed Action Optics. I am the type that doesn't like to bring along multiple pairs of sunglasses for different varying light levels etc. My question is this:

If you could pick one lens type which would it be: polar chromic Amber or what I have currently in the polar chromic copper. I would be using these on cloudy days, on bright days, on the stream under shade, on the stream out in the sun, driving in cloudy conditions, on the hillside at a sunny summer concert etc etc. I will not be using them to spot bones on the flats. But for me to drop $200 on a pair of sunglasses, I dont just want to use them on cloudy days for fishing. I would want to be able to wear them in every condition. I've just read that amber lenses can cause eye fatigue in bright conditions after awhile, which is the only reason I haven't ordered them yet. Is this a true con to amber?.

I know I have the copper already, but they would find their way to the gear bag and not hanging around my neck if I decide on amber, which I want to lean towards. Sorry for the rambling and thank you so much for the help..

caseywise 07-05-2011 11:54 PM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
i use a light smoke colored lens pair of smiths for most days but i have used, thanks to my FIL, a pair off yellow tint wrap arounds in low light conditions. a whole world of difference. im gonna buy a pair, there cycling glasses 20.00, and keep em in my vest for any late evening fishing i may wish to partake in.

another, more expensive option
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...POfu9a4Pc545-Q

BigCliff 07-06-2011 08:53 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
I would generally prefer copper over amber, but its rare that I'm not fishing on a bright sunny day.

You might be well suited picking amber and just using your old copper glasses on the brightest days.

MoscaPescador 07-06-2011 09:56 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
Maybe this webpage can sway you towards the direction that you may want to go to.

http://www.smithoptics.com/technolog...+Options/view/

Dennis

maccadon3000 07-06-2011 10:13 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
Thank you Dennis. Yeah, I noticed that part of the site. I guess I was almost looking for first hand reviews of fellow anglers who use amber lenses on and off the water and what they thought about the ability of the lenses to handle really bright days. But, again, I thank you for that, because it is a great place to start.

MoscaPescador 07-06-2011 10:29 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
In Northern California, I deal with a lot more brighter days than overcast days. I have had the polarchromatic copper lenses and had the polarchromatic amber lenses. If I had to choose one lens color, it would be the polarchromatic copper. It works well on the bright days. It works decently on the overcast days. I wasn't as pleased with the polarchromatic lenses in brighter conditions.

Dennis

maccadon3000 07-06-2011 11:05 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 282359)
In Northern California, I deal with a lot more brighter days than overcast days. I have had the polarchromatic copper lenses and had the polarchromatic amber lenses. If I had to choose one lens color, it would be the polarchromatic copper. It works well on the bright days. It works decently on the overcast days. I wasn't as pleased with the polarchromatic lenses in brighter conditions.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. That is exactly the type of review I was looking for. In the bold section, did you mean "polarchromatic AMBER lenses" in brighter conditions? Just checking to clarify. Also, if anyone else has first hand experience using amber lenses in everyday, all condition situations, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

MoscaPescador 07-06-2011 11:33 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
Yep... meant polarchromatic amber.

Dennis

Noiso 07-25-2011 10:38 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 282355)
Maybe this webpage can sway you towards the direction that you may want to go to.http://www.smithoptics.com/technolog...+Options/view/

This link has me more confused than ever! I have been using $20 cheapie polarized for years. My current pair, from Ted Fay, is either amber or copper - not sure. I am interested in upgrading - I will start by adding a yellow pair for low light. Do you know what conditions the green or blue (or any other color) lenses are optimum for? What is the difference between Polarchromic and Polarized?

TexUte Fly 07-25-2011 11:43 AM

Re: Best sunglasses lens color for streams...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noiso (Post 291445)
This link has me more confused than ever! I have been using $20 cheapie polarized for years. My current pair, from Ted Fay, is either amber or copper - not sure. I am interested in upgrading - I will start by adding a yellow pair for low light. Do you know what conditions the green or blue (or any other color) lenses are optimum for? What is the difference between Polarchromic and Polarized?

i used to snowboard with a blue lens, and i still do with green. they are a mid-high light lens. so a sunny day but with some clouds

if you look at the VLT% that is telling you how much light it lets in. the smaller % the sunnier it should be. something >20% is usually a sunny day lens 20-40% is a mid and about 50-80% is for those super dark days.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.