The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Big Flies/Big Fish

My buddy and I have had a great run on bigger fish this year. We always nymph fish with a very large very heavy "anchor" fly to get the target fly to the bottom. Its usually a large very heavy stonefly pattern or a basic nymph tied extra large and heavy (#6 3x long hook with 20 wraps of .30 lead) We catch just as many small fish on the big anchor fly as we do the dropper. Here is a pic of the 2 best fish that we have taken this year, the Rainbow is 24" and 8 lbs he came from the Toccoa tailrace in N. Georgia and the Brown is 29" and aprox 14lbs came for the Nantahala tailrace in North Carolina, both sections were public water (we don't do private water) I'm just wondering if anybody uses the "big meat" Big fish" approach? It kinda crept in from streamer fishing where I always throw big meaty patterns for bigger fish.
Click the image to open in full size.
Davo likes this.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Re: Big Flies/Big Fish

Damn. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting approach to nymphing, but sure looks like it is effective! Congrats!

Larry

Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM

nicklenuts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
My buddy and I have had a great run on bigger fish this year. We always nymph fish with a very large very heavy "anchor" fly to get the target fly to the bottom. Its usually a large very heavy stonefly pattern or a basic nymph tied extra large and heavy (#6 3x long hook with 20 wraps of .30 lead) We catch just as many small fish on the big anchor fly as we do the dropper. Here is a pic of the 2 best fish that we have taken this year, the Rainbow is 24" and 8 lbs he came from the Toccoa tailrace in N. Georgia and the Brown is 29" and aprox 14lbs came for the Nantahala tailrace in North Carolina, both sections were public water (we don't do private water) I'm just wondering if anybody uses the "big meat" Big fish" approach? It kinda crept in from streamer fishing where I always throw big meaty patterns for bigger fish.

I agree and follow similar tactics. You can't get those nymphs down fast enough for the big boys and girls.

This is a double barbelled stonefly pattern, often tied in tandem with a #6 black wolly bugger. a very heavy but quite deadly combo to get the presentations down.

works on all size fish too... here's a 10" ADK brown:

And a 21" ADK Brown, my largest trout of the season

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

I also have found this to be true, however, I sometimes get outfished by others who have downsized considerably. In general, I usually at least try the larger patterns once or twice each time to see if I can stir up the biggest fish in the system.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Congratulations on cracking that part of the code.

Using a heavy anchor fly and a smaller nymph is exactly what various Europeon nymphing methods use when using two nymphs, when using 3 nymphs they place the heavy fly in the middle between the two others.

These are very effective techniques that I planned on practicing for the first time this season, but so far due to caring for a terminally ill parent I've not been able to fish as often as I'd like so I've relied on what I am familliar with.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I'd have to say whatever you are doing, stay with it...it's working great!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Zug,

Great job on the lunkers!

I used to fish mouse looking flies for browns at night out west that were bigger than my thumb to great effect. Also fished a stretch of small brook no wider than my kitchen that runs though a buddy's land with a 3" leach pattern one day, and pulled a brown out from an undercut bank bigger than any he'd ever seen in there. When I showed him the fly he thought I was kidding and thought at first that it was a tarpon fly.

My bass poppers are twice the size of the biggest ones I ever see anyone else use as well. I don't think really big fish are going to get very excited about moving up or over for something that isn't substantial.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Beautiful fish! I don't do much trout fishing, but am a firm believer in big flies for big fish. Mostly fish for LM bass or Striped bass, then panfish. Smallies when I get the chance! Trout occasionally. I rarely use anything tied on hooks smaller than size 8, even when trout fishing. One of my best nymphs is a big black rubber legged stonefly, tied on a #2 hook and has a big 3/16 size tungsten bead head. I used to tie it in different sizes, but used the #2 so much, I just quit doing it. Several years ago in a small catch & release stream, I found an 18 inch rainbow under a cut bank with that fly. I'm reasonably sure there's no nymphs that big in there, but there were a lot of big crickets in the grass, so when opportunity knocks......! Even a 10 inch Brown liked it that day, and so did a couple of Smallmouths!

Here's my stonefly.

wjc, I'm with you on the bass poppers! Most of mine are made on big straight shank plastic worm hooks! I use a lot of 1/0's & 2/0's, and sometimes up to 5/0. I've caught them on small poppers, but catch a lot better fish on the big boys!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Zug

Nice lunkers!! This is a very popular technique over on the South Fork of the Snake in Idaho during the early season. The guides get their into a lot of fish with it!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures