The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Don is on a distinguished road
Question Teaching a child to fly fish - questions

My Grandson is 8 years old. This past spring I bought him an ultralight spinning rig and took him fishing for brim a few times and he loved it. I'd like to introduce him to fly fishing but am not sure where to start, or if I should start with one this young. I started my Son at the age of 12 by taking him to Choo Choo Fly and Tackle in Chattanooga. Bought him one of the Orvis 5 wt Green Mt. Far & Fine sets and left him with the owner, Les Kirk for about 4 hours while I made some business calls. When I got back he was casting better than me. Don't know if this approach would work or if I should put the 5 wt F&F in his hands and try to teach him myself. Maybe I need to wait a couple of years. Suggestions welcome. Don Ps: Can anyone tell me how to separate paragraphs when composing a post? On most forums, "enter" will do it, but apparently no here.
"I was starving; I had two types of dysentery, and beriberi. Then I remember what happened to Job when he asked, 'why me?' He got slam-dunked. 'Why me?' is an irregular question. Don't ask it."--Col. Nick Rowe on his captivity in N. Viet Nam
Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching a child to fly fish - questions

I have been teaching 6yr olds.I like to use FIBERGLASS rods. They are shorter, plus they teach the child to WAIT for it. Plus they can feel them load up. It works real well.Had one little boy I was teaching, had him roll cast trying over each shoulder. Told him to keep it up while I went to the little girls room. When I came back, he was still going strong.I had to stop him and tell him to rest his arm. He was soooo, darn cute, I wanted to take him home.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 AM

Don is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Teaching a child to fly fish - questions

Joni,

Thanks for the reply.

Don't have a fiberglass rod. How about a short Sage LL 4 or 2 wt? Maybe overline it by one?

Anyone else want to chime in, please feel free.

Don
"I was starving; I had two types of dysentery, and beriberi. Then I remember what happened to Job when he asked, 'why me?' He got slam-dunked. 'Why me?' is an irregular question. Don't ask it."--Col. Nick Rowe on his captivity in N. Viet Nam
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Joni,

Thanks for the reply.

Don't have a fiberglass rod. How about a short Sage LL 4 or 2 wt? Maybe overline it by one?

Anyone else want to chime in, please feel free.

Don
Just send me that LL and I will send you a glass LOL
Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I wish I could help out with some advice, but I'm not a good teacher. I'm waiting to hear some other folks chime in too.

I've been teaching my 14 year old son to fly fish. It's been somewhat frustrating. Fish seem to be repelled by his fly, even when his presentation is good. He is getting a bit discouraged. I know how he feels, because I fished a lot as a kid and never caught anything. So, when we are done fishing, we always go out and get ice cream or go to a movie together or something else like that to make sure that the day ends on a good note. It must work because he still keeps going with me, even though he never catches anything.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm a bit, and for some good hatch action before I take him out again. Next time, I want him to have some success. I'm sure if he can hook some fish, that he will also get hooked.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough

I started when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I didn't know nothing about fly fishing, but wanted to learn. I did a little with my grandpa while visiting him in Minnesota, but I lived out in CA at the time. Well not having a driving license and being where I was living, the local ponds was the only place I could fish. Luckily there was one small pond not to far from where I lived.

During one of my trips to MN, he sent me home with a fiberglass fly rod and I still have it. The sticker is worn off, but I'm thinking it was a 5wt, 9foot, somewhere around there.I had a blast fly fishing for panfish and bass. Granted it was short range casting from a shorline with no trees or brush to get tangled up. I do remember one of the first times I had my fly rod out...I was tagging small bluegills and bass left and right. Across the pond, a guy had his young son bobber fishing across from me. He yells, "You going to save some fish for us!", jokingly of course. What a compliment at that young of age, just starting to fly fish and didn't know what the heck I was doing. Then the rest was history...I'm still doing it and loving it!

Moral of the story, don't worry about the "correct" technique and "getting it just right", just let him be at that young age and stick with panfish, trout pond, etc, just someplace to catch anything. Let him pick his own flies or tie his own, they might not look pretty, but it gets them involved in the sport if they feel like their part of it.

My half cent
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Right On! TheFlyMaster. Good point, take them somewhere where they are garanteed to catch fish with just about anything (at first). Get them use to it. It will be frustrating when they fish a spot that is not producing, but at least they will have something to key in on.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Take time to teach someone!!! Where would any of us in this great sport be if someone did not take the timeto pass on the knowledge. My father taught me to usea fly rod at the same time as spinning, etc. Now that heis gone I am continuing his tradition by not only teachingmy own daughters to fish, but anyone else who wishesto learn. I have started a fly teaching class at my church &come spring will be having numerous men & women in thewater. If you have a friend that wishes to learn & doesnot want to buy an upscale rod/reel until they know theylike fly fishing, why not look into some of the inexpensivesetups at Cabelas, or check with The Full Creel ?? Teaching can be so rewarding, especially when they hookinto a nice smallmouth & have their first good fight. Neverbe afraid to share what knowledge you have been givenwith others. It maybe more rewarding for you than youthink.Tie One On