The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM

justlaxin20 is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping fish

So what is your guys opinion on keep fish caught on flies. I keep just enough to eat for my family when i go on vacation to upstate NY but all the other times i release them. I have met people in Upstate NY who look at me like im a cancer when they see me keep a fish, other people seem not to care as much. Is what i am doing really that bad?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Keeping fish

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! When it comes to keeping fish there are many things that can come into the discussion but in the end it is a personal choice when the rivers being fished allow for harvest. The only advice I would offer when you are fishing an area where most people are fly fishing is; don't keep the biggest and the best. Think along along the lines of genetics when harvesting fish. When you determine that a fish will be taken, kill it swiftly, I prefer a knife through the brain followed by cutting the gills. Providing a fishery is healthy enough to sustain limited harvest the only problem I ever have is when I see people who don't dispatch the fish promptly. Stringers are not my idea of a good way to spend your last minutes or hours in life, even if you are only a fish.

Welcome to the group and I hope you'll continue posting with us here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Here in Colorado, the etiquette among fly fishers on keping fish is pretty well developed. NO wild fish from any stream readily accessible by car or float are kept.

Any fish from any stillwater may be kept up to the limit.

Fish caught from any creek or lake that required an hour's hike or more to get to also may be kept.

Works well, in my opinion.

Chris
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If I am hungry for fish I keep a few, but would never take from the water fish that are rare or struggling to survive. If I gill one and have no plans for fish that night I will release back to the water so it may feed the ecosystem.

I think the rules fishnskiguy lives by are pretty awesome and Ard's humane approach for a quick death are both fine examples of good stewardship.

Dave
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM

jager is on a distinguished road

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once."
- Lee Wulff, 1939

That's my general philosophy. I'll occasionally kill a few bluegill for the pan, but very rarely anything else.

blog: http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager View Post
I'll occasionally kill a few bluegill for the pan, but very rarely anything else.
same here. crappie as well

casey

ARFE
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

ill be one of the ones that does keep them...but the ones kept are from our trout parks here so they are hatchery raised fish that are released in the parks...thats the only trout i have ever fished for....both my kids love fish as well as do my wife and i so i do keep them...but not all the time...most of the time i keep my limit if i catch my limit which is 4 in the parks. we have some areas that the park waters dump into the river close by and most of them the fish has to be a certain length to keep and only 2 can be kept...but i have yet to catch one over 15" which is the limit.
but if i were to catch one over 15" length i would release it cause i can catch and keep in the parks.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

funny this thread pops up now, I have been seeing the same guy at the creek catching and keeping a bunch of fish and keeping everything, I wont go into detail but I dont think the guy follows creel limits. any way. this guy isnt fly fishing. Once a few weeks ago this guy and myself were the last folks on the creek, I was packing up and the guy walks by with a basket full of nice smallies and trout, and blurts out 'why aint you keeping anything' my response was because i want to catch more fish next week too.. and all season, now seeing his full basket I I said that wont happen if you keep taking them all home... kinda got a lil mad. this creek is stocked, and the trout dont sustain numbers on thier own.. so you can see why I am a big supporter of catch and release. anymore the only fish i keep at catfish.. now on the other side of this all of the folks fly fishing I have seen so far let the fish go and practice good handling.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That whole personal choice thing (I believe) tilts toward C&R for most fly fishers who have bought into this as a recreational craft. The only trout I have killed since 1980 were 5 back mountain brookies when camped in MT., and two that I can bring to mind who I injured when they hit a fly. The most recent was a very nice & very wild rainbow hen that hit a size 2/0 salmon fly way too hard just over a week ago. I felt bad about that because I was swinging the fly for king salmon and I use barbed hooks on salmon.

Other than incidents like I describe I have no need for a trout to be kept but that's my way and perhaps not for all.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a subject that has popped up a time or two here on the forum. My opinions and habits have not changed since the last time. If I keep something it depends on what it is. Smallmouth are not really common here so I never kill one. Actually I have never killed one anywhere. Walleye are really common here and if I get one in the 16 or 17 inch zone it may be doomed. 10 inch Crappie may be in a bit of trouble to. I never kill big fish of any kind, freezer pack or stock up for the big fish fry. But hey, they are made of meat. Clobbering one every now and then is not a crime.