The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Super Duper Backing?

I've heard rumors of some newfangled backing that is stronger and finer than dacron, allowing you to put substantiall more of it on your reel compared with dacron.

Anyone heard of this stuff? Anyone know what companies sell it?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Super Duper Backing?

I have heard of and use Gel Spun, which is a lot smaller in diameter so you can put more on. You can't cut this stuff with scissors, it is strong stuff, but have been around for quite awhile.
Any place that carries backing will have Gel Spun.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have heard of and use Gel Spun, which is a lot smaller in diameter so you can put more on. You can't cut this stuff with scissors, it is strong stuff, but have been around for quite awhile.
Any place that carries backing will have Gel Spun.
Thanks

Just ordered some from Orvis for my new 8 weight rig. We'll see how it works out.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Thanks

Just ordered some from Orvis for my new 8 weight rig. We'll see how it works out.
You might want to connect your fly line to backing with an Albright knot. That Gel Spun will cut into your fly line.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The Gel Spun stuff works very well, but be very careful with it. It is very similar to "Spider Wire" and thus is extremely strong for its diameter. This also means it will cut skin much worse than mono or dacron.Just want to make sure all are aware, as I've heard of it getting looped around a finger and snipping it clean off.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough
Re: Super Duper Backing?

Yes be very careful with the super braid lines. I personally use Power Pro lines on all my spinning gear and been know to use it as short leader material when fly fishing for pike. I also use braid lines when fly fishing thick stuff like lily pads for bass. The super braids have virturly no stretch and most are very smooth to the touch. I've seen it more then once cut fingers when trying to pull snags free and normally straigtens out hooks before the line breaks, but depends on the line test. Up here where I live most anglers use braid not for more line capacity, but for greater line breaking strength, but at the same thickness of what they would normally use. IE 6lb mono diameter is equal to 20lb super braid.

I've never used any super lines for backing, I still stick with Dacron. It's served well so far, no need to change for me.
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 12-12-2006, 02:15 PM

TheFlyMaster, one reason Gell Spu is so popular is the Large Arbors. They don't hold a lot of backing so the Gell Spun allowes you to put about double the amount.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Joni, that characteristic is one reason why I will never own some LA reels. the LA B'kill hasn't near enough room for backing. I much prefer one configured like the Lamson Velocity or Lightspeed. The Mid-arbor B'kill looks like a great compromise between backing capacity and arbor diameter to me.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Joni, that characteristic is one reason why I will never own some LA reels. the LA B'kill hasn't near enough room for backing. I much prefer one configured like the Lamson Velocity or Lightspeed. The Mid-arbor B'kill looks like a great compromise between backing capacity and arbor diameter to me.
Just got a Lamson Litespeed 1.5 in a trade and I don't blame you at all Cliff. NICE!I do use the LA Battenkill and so far have only seen the backing twice (knock on wood) but I was able to chase the fish.So, needless to say, I still like my LA's battenkill. I even have the #I on my 2 weight. Kinda cool looking.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Questor is on a distinguished road

The problem with superlines in a fly line is that it's thin and it will cut you. I have stuck with dacron because it is durable, is larger in diameter, is easy to handle, and reels are designed with dacron in mind. The super lines are also expensive without delivering value for most fly fishing applications.

Try it if you have a small reel that you want to increase the backing capacity of.