The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 05:52 PM

makoml is on a distinguished road
Default St Croix Imperial opinions

Looking for hands on fishing experience with the new St Croix Imperial 8'6" 4wt 4pc and 10'0" 6wt 4pc rods. What lines used, what kind of taper, flex, power, recovery speed, would you describe for them etc.

I'm not looking for opinions on any other rods, just the ones I've listed. I am a fan of St Croix and these new rods intrigue me. I have Legend Ultras, Legend Elites, and Avids in various lengths and line weights. But no Imperials.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: St Croix Imperial opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoml View Post
Looking for hands on fishing experience with the new St Croix Imperial 8'6" 4wt 4pc and 10'0" 6wt 4pc rods. What lines used, what kind of taper, flex, power, recovery speed, would you describe for them etc.

I'm not looking for opinions on any other rods, just the ones I've listed. I am a fan of St Croix and these new rods intrigue me. I have Legend Ultras, Legend Elites, and Avids in various lengths and line weights. But no Imperials.
I had an St Croix Imperial, I found it to be too fast action for me, too stiff, something akin to fishing with a broom stick. Seriously the quality of the rod was good I'm a slower action guy. I have a St. Criox Avid in 9' 5wt and love it, I also like the TFO Finessee, the Winston Ibis in 4wt(older american made), and my favorite a Sage SP in 9' 6wt. As you can tell my my rods I like slower actions. A brand can take on certain generals whether perceived or by design. I find most Winston rods to be slower action than what they are listed as, I find Sage rods to be faster action than listed, and St Croix to be well faster action than Sages (I'm speaking in generals not certain models). I haven't made my mind up on the TFO brand yet but I do like the Finessee model I mentioned. My Sage SP 9' 6wt is my favorite rod it has shown me the power to throw sink tip lines and large streamers and the touch to throw #22 Zebra midges on floating lines and have the power in reserve to control those big midge eating Clinch river Tennessee Trout.