The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Knots for gel spun backing?

Are there specific knots I should use to attach gel spun backing to my reel and fly line?

Will the same knots that work for dacron backing also work for gel spun backing?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Knots for gel spun backing?

The same Arbor Knot should work just fine to attach the backing to the spool, although it will be more prone to slip on the arbor rather than to stay put as you begin to wind it up. Making an additional loop around the arbor before you tie the knot. Making a larger stopper knot for the arbor knot also might help.To attach the backing to the fly line, you might want to double over the fly line and tie the nail knot onto that, as it will be more likely to pull the coating off a single thickness of fly line. Coating the knot with Pliobond, or Loon's UV Knot Sense afterwards will help it move through the guides smoothly. I wouldn't recommend using epoxy or superglue for this purpose, as it will harden and crack over time.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We had a different way of attaching backing to reel at Orvis. I will try to explain the best I can.First, wrap the backing around the spool twice.Second, have enough tag to wrap around all four fingers on one hand and wrap this twice.Third, take the left over tag and go through the two loops formed by wrapping the backing around your fingers. Then slowly pull till tight against hub of spool. This works great for Gel Spun.For attaching line to Gell, Like Cliff said it can cut the coating on the line so I recommend the Albright. An easy knot to tie.You can also think of putting a perfection loop in the end of Gel Spun and in the end of your fly line (or even the whip loop I use on my lines) and make them quick connects in case you want to change line. I know people who do this for summer and winter and you are only dealing with 90' of fly line.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Joni's suggestion of the Albright knot is actually a better one than mine of doing a nail knot on the doubled over fly line, as it works about the same, finishes the same size, and is easier to tie.http://www.powerpro.com/_files_press/Albright.jpg The idea of putting a loop in the end of the backing to be able to easily swap out fly lines is a great one, and i'd like to throw in how I do it that allows you to pass a line through the loop while still wound up on the spools fly lines are sold on. Make the loop by using a spider hitch http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...ts_spider.html so that you get a loop that is about 10" long. To attach a fly line, feed the backing loop through the loop in the fly line, pass the loop over the spool, fix the loop to loop connection up right, and wind on the fly line. I use this set-up on my 9wt rig, for which I've got a floating line, a clear intermediate, and a 350 grain teeny type line. Its not nearly as practical as having spare spools or reels with different lines on them, but is a solution that can allow you to swap out lines on a boat or beach if need be.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.