The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Sage rods

I'm thinking about buying a Sage Z-Axis, 9 ft., 4 wt. for my retirement present with a matching reel. I fish small streams to some 50 ft. wide rivers. Any info would be appriciated.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:05 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage rods

i just recently got a z-axis 9' 4wt and the thing is great i love this rod only wish i had one sooner but you will not go wrong with one.i think it made my casting abilities better if like a fast tip you will love it .
Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Sage Z-Axis, 9 ft., 4 wt. for my retirement present with a matching reel. I fish small streams to some 50 ft. wide rivers. Any info would be appriciated.
Great rod, I have one myself along with a couple other Sage rods, I use my 4wt mainly for trout. I can’t justify spending that kind of money anymore on a Sage when several other rods manufactures have come out with rods just as competitive as a Sage. I thought I would never say this but Sage rods are overpriced but there is always that little thing called "Warranty" but then again others are just as good. You just need to cast several rods, look at the warranty policy and see what the the bottom line cost will be.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

You just need to cast several rods, look at the warranty policy and see what the the bottom line cost will be. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I don't have access to any shop that does this or to any that sells sage. I'd be ordering it by internet.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I sure would find a shop near your area that sold Sage rods and other rod manufacture brands to cast before I spent that kind of money, the brand name doesn't always fit the person.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Z-Axis is a great all around rod. If it casts to your expectations, it will work wonders for you. The 9 foot 4 weight model should work well for the conditions that you describe.

Dennis
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Make sure you find it discounted now that it's discontinued.. you should be getting a substantial discount on those now.

It's a great rod if the fast action suits your style..
Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Z-Axis are currently on sale in a lot of stores. I think due to a new model coming out soon.
At least on place i know of has them for 35% off - Delaware River Club

The following is from their recent blog post

Delaware River Report / Conditions July 11,2011
By delawareriverclub,on July 11th,2011
Down we go –looks like we are down to our 600 CFS release from Cannonsville –the river is stable,as the flow was gradually decreased,there should be no real “shock”to the system –the good news is that the infamous ‘green crap’has been mitagted,as the big flush of water kicked the majority of it downstream –now you can fish your sulphurs and they won’t turn into BWO’s! Give us a call at the shop for the most up-to-the-minute info.

PS –We still have a few Sage Z-Axis 5 and 7-weight rods for sale –35% off and free shipping!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Sage announced on June 23, 2011, the new forthcoming- "The ONE" fly rod...which will replace the Zed. It carries a very hefty price tag...as suggested above, the Z-Axis model is reduced almost everywhere...

I have a 9'6", 4wt. and throughly enjoy the rod... at the reduced price, I do not think one can go wrong ...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

For a 5 wt. the Z-axis is still my "go to" rod.

I fish it almost all the time for trout; unless I'm going to be doing some hiking in and bushwhacking for smaller native fish, like Brookies; in which case I'll use a 7'6" 3 wt.

I really don't see how you can go wrong with a discounted Z-axis. It came in second to Hardy's new Zenith in the recent Shootout that George Anderson sponsored a couple of months ago. Last time he ran the Shootout, the Z-axis was on top.

I fished a Zenith 9'0" 5 wt. about a month ago with J-P in France and, as he can tell you, the next day I went back to my trusty Z-axis. Dries, nymphs, streamers; for me it gets the job done all the time.

Pocono