The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cochise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Joan Wulff's DVD?

Anyone here viewed Joan Wulff's DVD Dynamics of Fly Casting?

Is it worth buying if I want to become a better caster?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:45 PM

gadfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Joan Wulff's DVD?

I got this DVD a couple of months ago. I have not really practiced using her methods yet, but I think it will be very helpful. I would recommend it.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:10 PM

CrossCreek is on a distinguished road

I have it and would highly reccomend it. I found it very informative and usefull. I review it every now and then also.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting
"Absolutely the most charming fishing oriented video I have ever watched"
Mark Bachmann
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

I got it when I first took up fly fishing about 3 years ago. I think it's good for a beginner. I should watch it again to make sure I'm not picking up bad habits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had it, and sold it here. Joan is an overhead caster, and I cast sidearm unless an overhead is the only thing that will work. There's not a lot on the DVD that you can't find on YouTube from Lefty Kreh, Mel Kreiger, etc. The only thing that I found interesting was the Oval (or Belgian) cast. Joan claims that here husband Lee Wulff invented it, but many dispute that claim. It is a useful cast in any case.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 PM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
The only thing that I found interesting was the Oval (or Belgian) cast. Joan claims that here husband Lee Wulff invented it, but many dispute that claim. It is a useful cast in any case.
In the book "New Fly Casting Techniques", Joan credits Lee with introducing her to the Oval Cast, but she credits the creation to Albert Godart, a Belgian Fly Casting Champion, at the French Fly Casting Tournament in 1948. She also mentions that Mel Krieger taught a variation on the theme.

I have my doubts when anyone says someone "invented" a fly casting technique... popularized, maybe... but there are just way too many people slinging line for anything to be really new. I used a continuous motion cast to throw hoppers on a light rod. I told my wife it was the "Cowboy Roll" -- a name I made up on the spot. Later I learned that it was called a Belgian cast, continuous motion cast, or oval cast and actually had a pedigree. I always thought it was the lazy mans answer to fly casting. I still use it almost all the time for wet flies and nymphs but rarely for dries...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Joan is an amazing caster and lady. I recommend it.
flyfishusa likes this.