The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Magic Floatant

I've been seeing this product in a couple of shops, but I've never tried it. I've really never heard anything about it, but I'm intrigued b/c it claims to be the only liquid floatant suitable for cdc.

Anybody use it? I'd love to hear a review.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Dry Magic Floatant

I bought a tube last year. I like it so far. Not as oily as Gink and seems to last longer too. That's about all I can say. Pick up a tube and give it a try, got nothing to lose!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Can't argue with that Davo! I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a local brand from my favorite fly shop. It's touted as a dry fly floatant, but it is so fine in texture(?), that I've found it works great for CDC. They key to using floatant on CDC is too little is usually too much.

Here is the process I use when fishing CDC flies:

After I catch a fish or numerous casts that result in the CDC becoming either slimed or waterlogged, I usually rinse the fly well in the water, dry with my chamois patch, place in my desiccant bottle which is a mixture of the fine powder along with desiccant beads, and shake vigorously (the beads serve to absorb water and keep things from matting together, the powder coats everything with floatant powder (which alone doesn't last very long - only a few casts), I then put a miniscule amount of the floatant on my fingers and rub thumb and forefinger together until only a very slight film remains, then I rub this into the CDC.

Long process, I know, but it revives the CDC every time to its original fluff and I'm good for another dozen casts or so, or fish, whichever comes first.

Fishing with CDC requires extra effort to keep it viable in its ability to float your fly. Some folks prefer other methods and/or give up fishing CDC-winged flies due to the efforts required to resuscitate it, especially after catching a fish. Some just change flies, but in the time it takes to change flies I'm able to get the fly into shape to fish with again.

I have a favorite stillwater that has some massive mayfly emergences each evening and my go-to fly is a CDC-winged emerger I call a parasol jumper. If I want to catch fish on the surface, this is the fly I use, given its success, the extra efforts at rejuvenation are well worth the effort.

Here is the fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

Trailed behind one of these:

And, here are the results:

Good luck, but just remember - less is more when it comes to treating CDC, no matter what brand you use.

Kelly.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've bad a tube of it for a couple years now, love the stuff. As Dave mentioned it's a very lite based floatant, not thick and gooey, although there are certainly times the thick floatants are needed.

It does work well on CDC, like KG says "less is better", and do rub it lightly between the thumb and forefinger before applying.

Good stuff!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Damn, Kelly... those are some nice fish. I want to go fishing with you!

John and Kelly, thanks both for your advice. I'm going to try the dry magic, and I'll be sure to use it sparingly.