The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Issue with the locals

I've been attempting to fish a small remote pond near our camp out of my tube.
One of the local inhabitants is highly protective of his territory and has been making it clear to me that I'm not welcome.
I was wondering if these guys are actually dangerous or are they "all talk/no bite"
I've been attacked twice by otters while fishing from a tube and am leery of having my bare legs hanging down there with those big teeth

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Issue with the locals

Ha! I've never been bothered by otters, other than them drifting down the stream next to me and making a huge splash.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Well, with a zillion degrees in wildlife ecology, I figured I'd have your answer. But, on a lark, I googled "beaver attack" first. Oops.

Seriously, though, in all those youtube videos, it appears that the animal was feeling pretty "cornered". They swim by me in the Miramichi all the time to no ill effect. I guess we all just need our space?

Gary
Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

No worries...they can't chew under water for very long. They'll have to come up for air. In all seriousness, I don't trust any animals of any size if they are sensing threat. I'll wager that even a cute little bunny rabbit may turn and chomp on your fingers if you pinned him down. Try picking a mouse up by the tail and then give it a good squeeze; OUCH. The things you learn working in feed store.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Give him his space.

I had a close encounter with a beaver on some of my local waters. I was in my kayak, apparently got into his space-- he circled me a few times ~ 2 to 3 feet away from my boat, slapping his tail the whole time..... Sounded like a (explicit) tommy gun!

The last thing I wanted was him making his way onto my boat and chain sawing my leg.....

Like Ausable said, I wouldn't want to be on the business end of ANY threatened animal.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

And based on what I saw on youtube, it could be way worse. You could be trying to fish next to a kangaroo.
Gary
Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm sorry but I'm LMAO! I've owned a couple pontoons and I just never got close enough to worry, but I have had them slap their tail at me before, but even then I was not very close and I just ignored it and kept on fishing.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I retreat after the first slap or two, but it's a 1/2 mile hike in and there's only about 15 minutes of fishing time before the little guy discovers that I'm there.
Like I said, I'm leery about this after my experiences with the otters.
I'm quite sure, due to the low position in the tube, that they viewed me as a rival otter and got right in my face.
I'm not willing to face off with a buck-toothed beaver in the same manner.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Rip,
You could always take an arm load of saplings to smooth things over.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember the killer bunny that attacked President Carter in a canoe? milt.