The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 AM

larkinlamb is on a distinguished road
Lake Fishing for Trout

I live in an area without trout streams, period. But an small area lake has recently been stocked with rainbows. But how do you fish an lake, compared to stream fishing? Dying to get wet! The colder weather in Amarillo, Tx in the winter allows the fish to live comfortibly in the winter here.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lake Fishing for Trout

If you don't already have one, get a float tube or a pontoon boat. It is much more fun. But I do on occassion fish lakes from the shore. Got to find the drop offs. I also recommend a full sinking line. I prefer a type II over most cause it is so multi taskable, but an intermediate or a faster sinking line will work.Other that that, go with the same flies you use in streams.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Try fishing small wooly buggers and similar flies in short jerky strips. If that doesn't work, try long slow strips with pauses or something else. Any flies that look like minnows should work well also. Keep in mind that freshly stocked trout haven't yet learned how to eat the food available to them in a natural body of water. They are used to eating pellets, and thus will first be attracted mostly by things that smell. (powerbait, worms, corn, etc) Once they have been in there a while, they begin to learn that minnows, leeches, and aquatic insects provide good snacks too. Fishing your minnow-like flies in areas where minnows/baitfish would be found will likely give you better odds of catching the fish that know minnows are food.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
If you don't already have one, get a float tube or a pontoon boat. It is much more fun. But I do on occassion fish lakes from the shore. Got to find the drop offs. I also recommend a full sinking line. I prefer a type II over most cause it is so multi taskable, but an intermediate or a faster sinking line will work.Other that that, go with the same flies you use in streams.
+1 on what Joni said. I use my diving fins to kick around in. Most of my fish I catch when lake fishing is on a #8 or #6 cone head olive wooly bugger (the more sparkle you have in it, the better) with a #16 olive scud trailing about 18 inches behind it. I basically trawl it with a jerk about every 5/10 seconds.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:27 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Try trolling a streamer behind a canoe............ been popular here in Maine for over a hundred years.
( I favor the Ripogenus Smelt or the ever popular Grey Ghost.)

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

You have gotten some good information so I will give you something different. Get some Mepps Ultra Lite spinners. Then are only 1/18 oz. and easy to cast with a fly rod. You can even order them custom to get the colors you want. This is a very effective way to catch planters. You could also buy some Mepps locally and cut down or remove the weight. You can control your depth with a sinking line or with a floating line and split shot. In the 40's the Colorado Spinner was used by most fly fisherman. Frank http://www.mepps.com/mepps/library/l...ra+Lites%7C150