The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Dru Lee Parsec is on a distinguished road
Default Totally Uninformed Newbie Question

OK, I just got this fly rod for Christmas and I would love to go fly fishing. But as a total Newbie who hasn't put a line in water in years I have some total newbie questions:

When does fly fishing season start? Is there a fly fishing season? On one hand I hear people say things like "Some folks tie flies to have something to do until the season starts" which makes me think that you can't fish at certain times of year. But then I see websites like this:
http://www.sierraflyfishers.com/reports.php
and they show folks fishing all year around.

So can I go fishing now?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally Uninformed Newbie Question

Most waters are open to fishing year round, while others have special dates. Check proc on those. They also have special regs on what you can use.Myself, when I refer to season open, I am refering to the weather. Most of our stillwaters are frozen right now, which leaves me to rivers only. Then there is road conditions that prevent getting there.If it is so cold that my guides are icing up on every other cast, I will stay home and tie flies.Feel free to mention locations and I am sure some here will be able to answer your questions.Good luck with the new rod and tight lines to you.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
OK, I just got this fly rod for Christmas and I would love to go fly fishing. But as a total Newbie who hasn't put a line in water in years I have some total newbie questions:When does fly fishing season start? Is there a fly fishing season? On one hand I hear people say things like "Some folks tie flies to have something to do until the season starts" which makes me think that you can't fish at certain times of year. But then I see websites like this:http://www.sierraflyfishers.com/reports.phpand they show folks fishing all year around.So can I go fishing now?
Where do you live?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Where do you live?
I'm in the foothills of the Sierra mountains about halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. The Bear river is about 2 miles from my house. The North fork of the American River is about 5 miles away. The confluence of the North and Middle forks of the American River is about 13 miles away and the Yuba River is about a one hour drive. I also have Rollins Lake about 5 miles from my house so I'm pretty well located for fly fishing. Also, Lake Tahoe has a bunch of great trout streams but they're all under a ton of snow right now. In fact, even the Yuba River is under snow.

Here's a couple of photos I took last week:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

It sounds like the "Local Regulations" thing is what I need to look into. I'm going to go check out my local fly fishing shop tomorrow so I'll find out what I need to know there.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here they are- http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/06freshfishregbook.pdf That is a link to a massive PDF file. Looks like that is the whole booklet that you might get when you buy a fishing license.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Wow, That's it Big Cliff! Thank you very much.

Looks like in my area the season for trout is from the last Saturday in April until Nov 15th.

I think I'm going to be tyeing a lot of flies between now and then. I have some waiting to do.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
Wow, That's it Big Cliff! Thank you very much.

Looks like in my area the season for trout is from the last Saturday in April until Nov 15th.

I think I'm going to be tyeing a lot of flies between now and then. I have some waiting to do.
That bites! At least I have the Weber and the Provo and the only worries is the guides icing up. Beautiful stream however, ought to be great fishing.